Cubecart slowing down

Ggib

Hi,

Just trying to work out why our Cubecart site seems to be slowing down. Carrying out any admin tasks seem to take much longer now - is there a limit to the amount of space re images etc.?

The site seems sluggish and although at first we were blaming our broadband speeds we are wondering if perhaps there is another reason.

Any clues?

Thanks

There's a modest lag when you first start tasks like editing or creating a listing, where it pre-loads the images list and other things you might need. So that would suggest that the more you have on the site, the longer that might take.  

I've noticed this pause (a few seconds) as I start some processes, but now I know about it, just use that time to check my e-mail, copy the text I want to paste in etc.

I have just spoken to our web hosting/ server guys and they have tested our site for us and have informed us that there are some coding changes that could be made to speed up page loading times.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to do this.

Thanks

That is a very generalistic statement from your hosting company unless they gave you specifics ? Could CubeCart be improved ? No doubt there are some improvements that could be made but that applies to any software and unless you have a massive store that is extremely busy, any sudden slowdown is much more likely to be down to hosting issues rather than CubeCart itself. Specifics are what is needed both from what your hosting company said but also about your store

Ian

OK

Some of the things mentioned causing slow speeds are:

Your page has 2 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.
Optimize CSS Delivery of the following:

Looks like they have done a simple pagespeed test on your site and cherry picked a couple of items out of the list.  If those are the only two problems highlighted by the test you are doing better than 99.999% of other websites and while those two little items could be fixed the impact on your site would be negligible.  I assume that they tested the front end of you store as well but your original post indicates that it is the admin side of the store AND that it is getting slower - those items are not admin side and would be constant rather than making the admin side of site run more and more slowly.

There are a huge number of possibilities that could be causing it including misbehaving admin side plugins (you can test that by disabling all plugins to see if it makes any difference and if it does, then enabling them one by one) but the most likely cause is still server issues whether it is database or general server overload problems - impossible to say without more detailed information / analysis.  However standard CubeCart should not get slower and slower as you are reporting

Ian

That looks like the sort of reply I got yesterday from a Googlebot test.  The second half of that suggests reducing 3 images by a total of 3.6Kb of data - which in the days when I first started designing web pages when we all had slow and expensive dial up connections (and I used to dial in using a mobile phone connected with a cable), might have been worth doing (I shaved every byte off that I could), but I doubt if you're using broadband you'd even notice the improvement, it's so negligible with current speeds. 

So I doubt this sort of data saving would be enough to overcome what you called 'sluggish' and 'taking much longer' whilst in admin.

My site is pretty substantial (over 600 product pages and around 5000 product images) and I use quite a lot of images on product pages so have a look at a typical page of mine to see how it compares.

There's a slight lag whilst the scroller I use for my images pre-loads them, but then they move through very fast.  On this page, after the standard page images there are something like 300Kb of images, then 4 related products at the bottom with their thumbnails:

https://www.boo-creations.co.uk/shop/necklaces/faux-amber-and-copper-necklace-with-mobius-ring-separators.html

Just have a mooch around the site and see how it compares to yours - as an example of a working CC6 store.

Thank you for all your replies - I am still trying to get to the bottom of it all with our web hoster/server.

Dirty Butter - any chance you can explain the images you sent through? Thanks

Also should we using a vps rather than a shared server?

The images show how long it takes each part of your website to load. The first bar is the time it takes your web server to respond. As you can see Dirty Butters is under 1 second where your is nearer 5 seconds. I have just done a test on your website again and it looks to have some serious issues. Load time for the entire page is about 60 seconds. I tried it a couple of days ago and it was 55 seconds. However yesterday it was loading in about 7 seconds. So appears to be running faster at some times than others so guess there may be too much load on the server at certain times.

A good shared server should be OK if you don't have too much traffic but a VPS would be a better option.

OK Thanks for that.

I have got our web hosters looking at the problem now - of course they keep trying to blame Cubecart or the number of plugins etc.  Will look into their VPS option too if they don't come up with anything.