[Resolved] Cube Cart 6.0.12 Installer Error

I have just uploaded all the extracted CC files that I downloaded from the Cube Cart site to a domain name (pangothica.com/shop).

On triggering 'setup' in my browser, a few pages in I get an installer error message (see attached screen-shot)

It says:

mages/cache/ is not writable.

images/source/ is not writable.

I've checked for the files in the appropriate directory on the server (to see if the permissions are correct), but cannot find any files of the name specified. can someone shed some light on this problem please?

I don't know if it's related, but during the file upload process, a stall screen (in Filezilla) appeared telling me that certain image files already existed in the directory on the server. On the first attempt I chose 'over write' on the second attempt at uploading the whole package again I encountered the same stall splash screen, this time I chose 'resume'. On attempting set-up I still encountered the installer error report in the attached screen-shot.

Many thanks - BG

_2016-07-26_CC_inst_scrnsht1.png

With FireFTP ( a javascript-based Firefox plugin), I also have come across a stall followed by a warning that said folder or file already exists. This, I believe, is caused by the FTP program using multiple data channels to make the directories and upload the files. For instance, Channel-A is creating the directory while Channel-B is asking if the directory exists - which is no because the creation of the directory is not actually finalized. When this happens, I have to start all over again and adjust the FTP program settings to use only one data channel.

So, if you are missing some folders, I suggest you delete everything in the /shop/ sub-folder, and use a different FTP program. In your hosting account's control panel, there may be a web-based FTP utility you can use.

That makes sense bsmither. I currently use Filezilla v3.19.0. I have never come across this problem previously. I have installed many packages on to my server, which I use to host quite a number of domains for various people. Those packages include Word Press, SMF, Joomla & Zen Cart amongst others, but I've never come across a problem like this through the use of multiple data channels.

I'll download a different FTP programme to use for this Cube Cart installation and see how it goes. I'll report back with my findings.

Many thanks.

Just downloaded & installed CrossFTP. Used it to upload the Cube Cart files to a fresh directory (once again & boy this Cross FTP is slow!).

I've still got exactly the same result as shown in the above screen-shot, when I attempt to install it via set-up. Very annoying!

Any more ideas?

G.

A fresh directory? And slow? (Well, I suppose that depends on your upload Internet speed.)

You said that you couldn't find /images/cache/ or /images/source/ folders? Or that you did, but there wasn't any files in those folders?

If the folders do not exist, then I conclude that a setting -- either in the FTP program you are using, or the FTP server at your hosting site, is set to not send or create empty folders. It is these exact two folders that have no contents (and actually, must not have any contents except known and expected image type of files).

If the folders do exist, then the FTP server may be setting the folder permissions to an inappropriate value. And these settings may include "ownership" to the point where you don't own them in order to correct them. Your hosting provider may need to help.

You can try to put a dummy file in these two specific folders, FTP up, make sure the folders (with dummy files inside) exist on the server, run the installer, then delete those dummy files.

Yes a fresh folder, because after the last install failed I just deleted the folder that is to contain the cart software on the server and created a new one, before uploading the files again. It's the same connection speed for both programmes, but Filezilla seems to execute it's functions much faster than CrossFTP. However the result is exactly the same. I've even tried installing an older version of Cube Cart, as an experiment, but again the same problem.

There is NO /images/cache/ or /images/source/ folders on the server after upload. They are not created, which is probably the reason why the 'set-up' procedure kicks up the "is not writable"/ "read only" error. That makes sense, because if the folders have not been created, then they would appear as possible "read only" folders. It looks as if the server is set-up not to create folders that have no files in them. As you say that the folders in question don't already contain files when they are uploaded, then it could be the cause.

The other puzzler is the "file exists" message for two files. I think I'll just put two 'dummy' txt files in the two folders on the client side, before attempting to upload again. If the folders are not being created on the server side, then that may be the reason for the "read only" error for the two folders that don't exist. After upload - if the folders are created with the dummy files in them I'll just delete the files on the server side.

Below is a screen-shot of the duplicate file message that pops up. Anyway it's nearly bed-time on this side of the pond, so I'll make a fresh start in the morning.

Thanks bsmither. I'll report back after I have another stab at it in the morning.:thumbsupup:_2016-07-26_CC_inst_scrnsht2.png

I've been checking the folder list in the downloaded and extracted cube cart package on the client side, and there doesn't seem to be any  images/cache/ or /images/source/ folders there either. Should there be? Or are they hiding in some other folder? If those folders are not in the actual package then obviously they wouldn't be uploaded to the server. But during installation those folders are referred to in the error message. I'm getting a bit frustrated with this 'head scratcher'! I need a little assistance, as this is my first experience with Cube Cart, although as I stated above I have plenty of experience with other similar programmes.

Maybe try uploading the compressed file to the server and unzipping it in your file manager. Much easier than ftping separate files. If it creates the two problem folders for you then you should hopefully be able to run the install as the folders will already be there.

6 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

I'm TOTALLY ignorant and can't help a bit with this, but I did notice your screen shot shows Source file from 6.0.8 - not 6.0.12. That seems odd.

That's because the original problem was with the installation of 6.0.12 (a few times) so as an experiment to see if anything had changed I removed that version and uploaded v 6.0.8 - just grasping at straws really, that maybe there was something in the upgraded version that had changed the behaviour. The screenshot just happened to be of the 6.0.8 (failed) installation.

Thanks Guys!

I've now resolved the problem, or at least I've pinpointed the cause. It would appear the problem arose from my WinZip software. When the downloaded package was extracted to a folder on the client side - for upload to the server - the two folders that contained no files were not extracted, so when all the extracted files were uploaded, the two folders were missing on the server. Consequently,  CC reported that they were 'read only', when in fact they did not exist.

The installation went fine by uploading the compressed downloaded package, and then extracting it using File Manager in cPanelX. The two (empty) directories were there. The installation then went flawlessly.

In answer to the query about why I extract first on the client side, and then upload. That is simply for practical purposes, so that if any editing that may be required later can be done on the client side (especially if a file becomes corrupted on the server). However on this occasion I got caught out due to that quirk in WinZip. Maybe it's time to look for some alternative compression software.

As I said, many thanks for your help and pointers.

All the best to you all!

G

Thanks 'Dirty Butter'.

Indeed finding the issue is always a cherry on the cake! Getting something to work makes you feel good, knowing why it didn't work in the first place is a bonus. I hope it helps all others who may encounter the same problem sometime in the future.

Lovely making your acquaintance all.

G.