[Resolved] Shipping Nightmare - Packaging

Spechal

Update!!!!!!!!!

I had to walk away from this yesterday because I was going brain dead.

I picked it up again today and I finally figured it out.  There was more editing required beyond those presented by Noodleman, but I finally figured it out and all appears to be working right now using the three newly created modules and the module by Noodleman to link them all to the products for different shipping options per product.

Noodleman I have a question about the purchase of your "Link products".  I visited your website and saw the module available for $19.00, is that US dollars, and can I purchase it from your website because it is cheaper that going through the marketplace of CubeCart?

Thanks to all for your assistance with my recent projects.  I am trying to get our website up and running for online purchases and it is taking a lot of work and patience to work my way through setting up freight options, credit card processing, and product modification and setup. 

Thanks again,

Frank

Greetings again,

Noodleman, I spoke too soon.  I thought everything was working well because I tested each of the modules without using your plugin and each worked as they should.  Once I activated your module I thought everything was working fine because all the products i worked on over the past couple of days all used the flat rate module through your plug in.  When I tried editing another product type that ships using the by weight module, I could not save the changes.  It acts like it saved but when you save and reload or save and go back in to take a look, it reverts back to flat rate or use the default billing radial button.  So I can save flat rate or use shipping default but not the by weight or by item.  To further clarify I found that only the flat rate and use the default shipping options in your module work because they are both utilize the same flat rate module.  If I try to change the default shipping method to either of the by weight or by item, from within your module, it won't save my selection.   Again when it comes to the product setup,  I can only choose flat rate or use shipping default, which again within your module is the flat rate shipping module.  I need your assistance ASAP so I can get our website up and running ASAP.

Thanks again.

Morning,

Hmm, sounds odd. If you can open a support ticket via https://www.noodleman.co.uk/support and provide the details I can use to access your store (FTP/ admin ID/PW) then I can take a look at it for you, figure out what is going on with the module, and cloned modules and sort it out for you :)

It sounds like your quite close, so may just need some fine tuning. :)

following up with a conclusion in case anybody else is interested. the other issue, with shipping prices being 0 was being caused by a misconfiguration in the stores country/zone list. the ID was missing, which invalidated addresses to the module and meant the couldn't return a price. After updating the ID to be correct for the USA, everything started to return prices.

also, as part of the All In One clone process, there are JS files in the modules /js/ directory which also needs to be renamed. when those were renamed correctly the admin side of the module, deletions and updates started to work correctly.

Noodleman, you won't believe this but I walked away from this project for the day once we resolved this issue today.

I waited until this evening around 9PM CST US and I was showing off our site and had someone go to the Medisoft and TotalMD software offerings and add one at a time to the shopping cart, because they are flat rate, and they got a zero for freight again.  We tried it using both Google Chrome and Firefox with the same result.

Again it was all working for us earlier today and without any changes being made because i wasn't even around for the rest of the day it now stopped working again.

I even went in and tried to by weight and I still get a zero for shipping.

I also went into CubeCart and checked all the settings just to make sure and everything looks to be happy there.

I don't get it.

Thanks Frank

Noodleman, I just tried using enabling only the flat rate module in the manage plugin section and with only that module enabled I receive the error once again that the shopping cart does not see any available shipping options.  We also tried it on two different computers with the same results.

I also noticed in the drop down showing the freight of zero it says "Per Product Shipping Service".  I don't know where it is pulling that info from but I thought it should reflect the module being used.  Regardless what module is being used, as defined under the product, it still shows the same description. That may very well be because if the three modules are not working properly we are getting that description etc.

I also tried it with the by weight and item with the same results.  I even tried enabling the three modules along with your module, like you had earlier when I asked you if I should uncheck the three modules, but it still didn't work.

I wondering if it doesn't have something to do with my web hosting company.  Its frustrating because we really found and fix what I felt were the root causes of my previous issues.  We got to be running out of things to fix.

Frank

I noticed looking at your module that a zone was not selected, which I am sure is correct given the fact that that info is being populated by the given module.  Will I decided to select the US and then the shopping cart no longer saw your module as a shipping option, so it appears that it may have something to do with the zones and CubeCart not liking the United States zone.  I don't remember where you said you had to enter a zone numeric equivalent at, could that have something to do with this?

I tested the order as if a person entered their address info and the freight popped up.  I remember you saying earlier that having a difference between logging in and not logging in.  Well I don't know what you would call what I did but I never logged in I just entered the fake customer data prior to checking out.  I thought a user would be considered logged in or registered only if you completed the transaction.

Before you were able to see the freight before filling out the customer info, since the freight is calculated the same regardless of where the customer is ordering from within the continental US.  I think that is a good idea and would prevent potential customers from abandoning the shopping cart after they have entered all their info only to be discouraged by the now populated shipping charges.  Or the potential customer may even proceed on with the order under the assumption that the shipping was free only to be surprised to find out, after filling out their info, that it is not which may very well cause them to abandon the shopping cart and leave thinking we tried to sneak one in on them.

Frank

Hi Frank,

You don't need to configure Zones in your store because you only have one country defined. Having no countries setup also means "work for all countries".

The difference will be the customer. Before providing their details (setting up an account and logged in) the modules were able to calculate a shipping rate. After the customer provided their details and was logged in, it stopped.

There still looks to be some oddities with the country configuration in your store. It's weird. The issue is the underlying shipping modules working correctly at the moment, the plugin simply uses the data they return. if they return no data, there is no shipping cost.

as a "not logged in" customer, the address information for the purposes of calculations is your store address. Once a customer provides their address information the rates will be based on the delivery address.

I had another look at your "Zones" configuration, All of your "Zones" (Counties/States) for the USA are not associated with a country, It's blank. They should all be associated with the " United States".

My guess is that your countries/zones were all deleted, and then the data you wanted was manually added, but it's not been added correctly. This isn't a good idea. It's better to selectivley delete those countries you dont want to use, or disable them by unchecking the "Status" checkbox.

1) I've fixed your invalid "Zones" data by running an update query on your database. It now has all the zones linked to a country.

2) This means in the "Store Settings" you can now configure a "State" in your stores address, and as a customer select a State when providing your address. I set your state as "Ilinois", then as a customer went back to your store front.

I emptied my cart, then re-populated it with the items (this forces the cart to clear some stuff in the background and rebuild it). I now get all the correct shipping options.

Any existing customers MAY need to update their addresses before they will get a shipping price as they will have the "invalid" address data stored in their address book. After they update the address it should work OK.

Thank you, Noodleman.

I had posted awhile ago that I use to be able to select a state from a drop down list but since the problems began I was unable to do that anymore.  Now that you fixed the zones issue I noticed that I can once again select the states from a list, so I know for a fact you fixed yet another issue since the blow up.  I know for a fact that I had Illinois in the store setup and I don't know how it would have been missing.  But its good that you setup the shopping cart to use our store state until the customer fills in their info.  Since the freight is not based on a customers ship to address, within the Continental US, it works.  Thank you again for your efforts.

Frank