Payment methods and fee's

Lamrith

I am curious/hoping that one of the guru's here can help.  I run a local customer only business and have payment options I would like to address with my CC6 checkout.

A surprising number of my customers like to place the order online even though I am local pickup only, I pretty much run a mostly cash business at this point.  I do this to keep my product prices low, why penalize everyone because a few want to use CC/paypal.  At the same time I greatly wish to offer my customers any payment option they desire, and a number of them have asked about other options. 

SO, is there a way to have multiple payment options show? Cash on pickup, CC, paypal, squarecash?  And for the CC, paypal and squarecash transactions to automatically add a 3% fee to the order?  My business is all by appointment/pickup in store, so I could use the shipping selection area as well if that helps at all.  I tried looking at all in one shipping for ideas and just drew a blank as I did not see a way to force the customer to choose CC/paypal if they wanted to pay that way (They could select "cash" and then proceed thru the Paypal portal anyway thus skipping the fee..)

Anyone have any ideas?

All enabled payment options will be listed. Of course, you would need merchant accounts with these payment processors. Once a payment method is chosen, that's how the order gets paid.

When you say, "They could select "cash" and then proceed thru the Paypal portal anyway thus skipping the fee," I don't see that happening.

Also, you may want to read any agreement you sign with payment processors. (At one time, anyway) It is against their agreement that you add a surcharge if the customer chooses to use that payment method. Nothing prohibits you from offering a cash discount.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply.  My current paypal account is a private one, but as many know they charge~3% for many transactions.  So to this point I have been a cash on pickup only operation.  I am looking to expand and offer paypal/CC, but wanted to make sure the buyer pays that fee since they are the one requesting the special payment service.

So it sounds like I need to raise my price to everyone by 3-5% then offer a 3-4% discount for cash.  I will have to look into that and how it will work with my already setup discounts for bulk.

So let me try and layout what I would like to have for my customers on checkout.  All my customers are local, the only option they have for shipping is pickup or I will deliver for orders over $299.00  I have All in one shipping setup to handle the shipping options on checkout, at this point.  however, If I need to use "all in one" for the payment functionality in some way I can clear it out and handle shipping manually since all customers are local.

Now I would like to add payment options.
*Cash
*Paypal

I have downloaded a few paypal gateways, but I have not been able to find a way when they are active to allow "pay on pickup" or cash on delivery option.  The customer is forced to pay thru paypal.  The same with CC gateways and I do not want to sign up for a CC gateway when I already have paypal to take CC.

Thoughts on how to do that?  I could envision using all in one to let the customer choose how they wish to pay and not have a payment gateway at all.  But then I have to manually send them an invoice and I would rather let them have a clean automated process regardless of how they pay if possible.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you have already worked out a solution for this.

I suggest using the Print Order Form payment gateway and customising that as your CASH payment option - if anyone wants to pay on pickup/delivery.

PayPal Standard would allow you to process PayPal and CC for customers who prefer to pay when they place their order.

I would use Store Collection for the shipping gateway and have text on your site about free home delivery for orders over $299.

Not sure how you're going to be able to offer an automated discount for cash, though you could manually adjust the order through Cubecart Admin and print a new invoice to give to the customer at the pickup/delivery stage.

PayPal says that you CAN charge a surcharge, but that it can not be more than what they charge you (so you would need to check PayPal's payment fee formula)

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_11_Receiving_funds

You may need to employ a CubeCart developer to tweak your checkout/gateway for the cash discount/PayPal surcharge.

BEST OPTION - you could just guess your ratio of Cash vs PayPal, split the difference and raise all your prices by 2%.  That way your cash payments help to subsidise your PayPal payments and the overall cost to customers is minimal - a $50 item becomes $51.

As an extra thought, you might consider a mobile PayPal Here device for processing card payments in person if you don't already have a way to accept cards on site.