Making "Mican" responsive

G Dubyah

When I analyze my site through Google, it's telling me that it is not responsive and fails the Google test.

Google are recommending that I add

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

to my site.

Will this work, and If so which file do I edit with this code ?

I think this approach will not work. But, the template main.php is where you would add that statement.

In a sense, "responsive" means that the site's layout gets re-arranged to best display the content on a mobile device, and as the device's viewport gets wider, the layout changes to better show the content.

In another sense, using the better term "fluid", the layout doesn't change based on the device's viewport width, but squeezes up or widens out to fill the entire width of the viewport. Buut, I think "fluid" does not satisfy Google's definition of "responsive".

CC5 introduced a distinct and separate skin named "Mobile", and it still works in CC6. CubeCart determines if the device visiting your site is a "mobile" device and if so, will automatically use the Mobile skin instead of the Mican (or other default) skin.

2 hours ago, bsmither said:

I think this approach will not work. But, the template main.php is where you would add that statement.

In a sense, "responsive" means that the site's layout gets re-arranged to best display the content on a mobile device, and as the device's viewport gets wider, the layout changes to better show the content.

In another sense, using the better term "fluid", the layout doesn't change based on the device's viewport width, but squeezes up or widens out to fill the entire width of the viewport. Buut, I think "fluid" does not satisfy Google's definition of "responsive".

CC5 introduced a distinct and separate skin named "Mobile", and it still works in CC6. CubeCart determines if the device visiting your site is a "mobile" device and if so, will automatically use the Mobile skin instead of the Mican (or other default) skin.

The description for "Mobile" says it is not compatible with CC6

The mobile skin only seems to have two views large and small. It doesn't cater for tablets etc. Foundation is much better at resizing the screen to the appropriate size. With foundation on a tablet you get desktop view in landscape and mobile in portrait. With the mobile skin setting it loads the desktop layout into portrait view which is way too small to be usable.

There may be some confusion as the Mobile skin has only one view -- it is not responsive. CubeCart will use it for an identified mobile device regardless of that device's orientation -- unless the device sends a different User-Agent string depending on orientation, which I doubt.

If CubeCart cannot determine if the device being used is 'mobile', then CubeCart uses some other skin, such as Mican if that is what the user has chosen from the drop-down skin selector on the storefront. (There is, however, a lockout against any "mobile-style" skin if the site's default skin is responsive, even if the user selects to view the site with a non-responsive skin. See: #1226.)

Google is reporting that the text is too small, and links are too close together as the biggest problems.

It's not too much of an issue yet as the majority of my visitors ( according to stats) are using desktop versions, only 2% are using mobile, but it would be great if someone could produce a fully responsive skin to run alongside the other skins available.

Are there any  paid or premium skins out there ?

Foundation is fully responsive and free. It should also pass Googles test. You only have 2% using mobile but if yours is similar to the ours you may have a significant amount uisng a tablet. Foundation works well on a tablet. Maybe switch foundation on and do the Google test see what resuts you get.

On 9/9/2016 at 7:24 PM, G Dubyah said:

Google is reporting that the text is too small, and links are too close together as the biggest problems.

It's not too much of an issue yet as the majority of my visitors ( according to stats) are using desktop versions, only 2% are using mobile

One reason that you might only be getting 2% of visitors on mobile devices (which is the lowest I think I have ever seen for any website in the past couple of years - even most non-optimised sites get 20% to 35% mobile visits) is that Google will now not list you in mobile search results if your site fails the mobile test.  So even users dont find your site when doing a search, they will never visit