[Resolved] tawk.to

ZeroX42

Welcome ZeroX42! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

There are three approaches: use a code snippet to add the script to the script array, construct a full plugin (see these modules), or make a manual edit to the skin template main.php.

The chosen approach will depend on how the tawk.to script is supposed to be integrated into the page.

Let us know just a bit more about the integration.

According to tawk.to it has to be in the footer of the page, near the </body> tag.
I'll try the skin template option and see how that goes, will keep you posted.
I'll look into writing an actual plug in for the community after I'm done this project.

Also, if I can grab one more tip while I have you around.
The Canada Post plug in requires a merchant ID.
Do I need to get my client to set this up or can I do it for them ?
If not I have to wait til tomorrow to call them and get more information.

Thanks for the help bsmither, appreciate it

"Do I need to get my client to [setup CP] or can I do it for them ?"

I have no idea. Getting a Merchant ID may involve some email communications, of which you may not have access to.

I did set up Authorize.net for a client after having obtained a few key personal details, but your mileage may vary.

And, if you aren't aware of it already, CP requires comms on port 30000, which your hosting provider may or may not allow through the firewall. Check with your hosting provider before you hit this problem.

@ZeroX42 - I have tawk.to on my store (for me, it beats olark and zopim).  Couldn't work out how to make a javascript work as a code snippet(!), so I just added the code to main.php in skins/foundation/templates/main.php after the last </div> tag and before the </body> tag.

You may need to use the tawk.to dashboard to modify the tawk.to widget and get rid of the extra image because this blocks some of the page.  You should also pay some attention to whether the widget blocks cubecart's back-to-top button on page scroll.  Also check how the widget displays and works differently on desktop/tablet/mobile.

I find it very good - the mobile phone app is a must and I can answer tawk.to alerts on the run.  Customers must be answered right away though (even with a "Let me check...") otherwise they leave.

As an admin, during store testing I use the tawk.to widget to record notes to follow up later. It's good how it tracks what page is being viewed as part of the conversation.

@bsmither - tawk.to is offered as a block of javascript to be added to the end of a web page (just before the </body> tag). I was hoping that the code snippet function in cubecart would handle exactly that but I couldn't work out how to get it to work.  Just adding the block of javascript intended for HTML as a code snippet didn't work.  Does it need to be phpified a bit first?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, if the page is scrolled at all the back-to-top button in CubeCart invisibly blocks clicks for the tawk.to tab (bottom right corner) and makes it non-clickable.  The back-to-top button and tawk.to tab are both visible and separate, but the tawk.to tab will only be clickable if the page is at top (not scrolled, so no back-to-top button visible).

This is an annoyance that should be solvable with a little code mining - maybe the size of the area for the TOP button, or z-index?

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2016 at 10:03 AM, Dirty Butter said:

I've taken off Resolved for now until someone can share a way to get the tawk.to area to cooperate with the Back to Top CC button.

Moving the Tawk.to widget to another part of the page via the Tawk.to administration panel will work with no problem.