[Resolved] How do you create a custom xml language file?

nomem

Hi,

I have greatly modified my public_html/language/definitions.xml and really do not look forward to the edits when i upgrade to CC6.1.0.  Is there a way to create another file to put all my edits in so I don't have to do that all the time?  if so how?

Thanks in advance

Identify the language code you are using, such as: en-US. In the languages folder, you will find a file named en-US.xml. (CC6 ships with only one named language pack, en-GB.xml. So, it, and definitions.xml, will get overwritten. Therefore...) You can put all your customizations in the named language pack file -- until you specifically upgrade that language pack.

You can also put custom strings in a specially crafted file and have it named en-US-custom.xml. Then, have CubeCart import that file into the language system. But this approach requires some preparation.

Ok so I can place ALL my customizations including new groups and strings in the en-US.xml file and I won't have to apply my edits on upgrade?  Can I move strings from the definitions.xml file that comes with CubeCart and place them in the en-US.xml file too? Do I have to change any wording in my skin files to show this change?

Thanks

Groups and strings in en-US.xml (or any language pack file in use) will overload same-named strings from definitions.xml.

"Can I move strings ..."

You can copy them. I would say do not actually delete any strings (as implied by 'move').

The skin templates don't care.

Brian when you say overload do you mean override?  CubeCart will pick them up from the en_US.xml and not the definition file without any problem?  And I should leave the defintion file as shipped with Cubecart, just place my custom strings in the en_US.xml file without deleting the same titled string in the definition file. Correct?  You say the skin files don't care.  What about the admin files?  I've changed a little wording in some of them.

Thanks,