Why ?

G Dubyah

Thanks for the downgrade in the latest update !

Now instead of just browsing for an image and uploading it, you now have to drag it into a box, and then select it from the list to include it with a product, costs more time and is a retrograde step, can we have the old system or at least give us the choice !!

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe we can see about getting it to auto assign too. 

5 minutes ago, G Dubyah said:

Perhaps you would like to upload the 200 new items per week I have coming into my shop !! :(:angry:

Can't you upload all the images first (by drag and drop on the main image file manager rather than selecting them individually like before) and then import the products with a CSV file?

Honestly, I don't even use the admin panel to manage images - for it to be competitive timewise with other solutions (see below), it would need to be able to upload entire folders of images at a time and then have the ability to auto-assign them to products based on the product code as well as the product code of any matrix entries for that product.

Al's suggestion of using a CSV importing tool to import products would help with the products, though I am unaware of any tools that do so in a way that would also handle adding image relationships.

For now, I use a custom script I wrote instead, staging my images offline and then running the script to auto-assign each of them to products based on filename:product_code matching. That can easily handle adding and assigning hundreds or even thousands of images in less than a minute. Then I upload the images via FTP (easy to do entire folders) and import the offline product and image table data to my live site. Way faster :D The script can also be run live, but I like to do all of my changes offline first.

6 minutes ago, bsandall said:

Al's suggestion of using a CSV importing tool to import products would help with the products, though I am unaware of any tools that do so in a way that would also handle adding image relationships.

You can have multiple images per product in the spreadsheet and it takes the first one as primary. Just comma separate each image.

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/blob/master/admin/sources/products.import.inc.php#L109-L142

https://support.cubecart.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/32/41/how-do-i-use-the-bulk-product-import-tool

Even without a touchscreen, the advantage to the dropzone for me is being able to load a series of photos all in one step. THAT is very helpful! But currently having to find each photo and tick the box for each photo negates the advantage.

I can drag them from my photo editing screen to the taskbar icon for my browser and they show up in the box, but I didn't know I could click in the Dropzone box and browse. Thanks for that!!

Running scripts and csv imports is beyond most people so needs to assign first image as the main image and subsequent images as additional. Off to do some staff training on how to assign an image now because one of them is looking confused.com!!

9 minutes ago, Al Brookbanks said:

You can have multiple images per product in the spreadsheet and it takes the first one as primary. Just comma separate each image.

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/blob/master/admin/sources/products.import.inc.php#L109-L142

https://support.cubecart.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/32/41/how-do-i-use-the-bulk-product-import-tool

That's pretty slick! I guess I never looked that closely at it, perhaps because the 'Import Catalogue' page in the admin panel is so sparse its usefulness is not apparent :P

2 hours ago, Al Brookbanks said:

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe we can see about getting it to auto assign too. 

Can't you upload all the images first (by drag and drop on the main image file manager rather than selecting them individually like before) and then import the products with a CSV file?

I could but it still doesn't reduce the number of actions required to post an image, and it means browsing through a whole lot more, that would however be made easier if you didn't have to use a check box, but could do so just by selecting image description.