Paypal - Refund options

Izraelviz

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any refund options/modules in CubeCart (as I can't seem to find any)?

And if not - as this is a pretty important part of running a store and dealing with customers - is there a plan on adding this in future releases, ?

In PrestaShop (1.4) there is by default a refund option among the order-statuses, and if you have paid with PayPal, everything goes automatically. Item gets restocked and customer gets his money back. 

Elviz

Hi

This would need to be a function of whatever payment gateway you are using, so for example if you have enabled PayPal and the client pays using that, in theory it would be possible (as you say, other systems do it for certain gateways) to change the order status to Refunded and that would automatically issue the refund.  I am not aware of any payment gateways for CubeCart that have that functionality built in and therefore there is no Refund option as standard in CubeCart.  We did build this functionality into our V4 Enhanced Admin Order Entry mod for the SagePay and Authorise.net payment gateways (which we also modified) but we didnt get much call for it and so havent yet added that as functionality to our V6 Enhanced Admin Order Entry plugin although this would certainly be possible if there is enough interest.

Ian

Thanx for your answer, havenswift. Appreciate it

I really think this should be an option one way or another. Added feature or as a (commercial) paypal module. Dealing with returns and refunds is pretty time consuming, and it's likely to believe that the more your company expands, the more refunds you will need to take care of. At least if you deal with clothes and such where your customers have their rights and often take advantages of them.

Maybe it's one of those "If you don't know it exists you don't care, but you're used to having it, you can't be without it"- things.

This issue is pretty close to a show stopper for us, so if anyone is thinking of doing something with this, one way or another, I would be grateful if they gave me a heads up =)

Elviz

I find refunds or partial refunds via PayPal easy to deal with - it's just a matter of including admin notes in the order to say what was done and marking the order as cancelled.

However, in CCv3 it used to be possible to back out of an order to return stock to the store - from Completed to Processing (save) then Pending (save) then Cancelled (final save).  In CCv6 that process triggers some confusing automated e-mails to the customer and doesn't seem to return the stock, instead there has to be a manual adjustment.  That's going to leave some statistical errors too because the database may record that five hats were sold but two were returned so only three were ever sold - meaning that you could restock a product that had issues or that actually didn't sell as well as the database says it did.

+1 for managed stock returns in CCv6 - even if refunds are managed through PayPal and an admin note added to the customer order.

Got to wonder if there IS an API for PayPal to manage refunds though (like PrestaShop) - it would be pretty neat.  But I'm used to manually generating PayPal invoices to chase lost carts, and by comparison refunds are fairly quick.

Adding a new order status is possible though - search the cubecart plugins for Partially Shipped for an example of how it's done.