New store, need inventory

djcaseanova

So, I have been in a very niche market with my online store. It's done very well, but my methods of obtaining my inventory or very specific to that niche.

I am looking to actually start another store more geared for the general public. I am looking into more of a retail type store that's not so niche. I eventually would like to have a physical store front, but that is some years away. My question is how does one obtain popular brands and inventory? Let's use lawn mowers as a product example. How does one go about getting lawn mowers as their inventory? There are so many manufacturers of lawn mowers out there. Do you go directly to the manufacturer? Do you have to find a wholesaler/distributor?

I am having a hard time finding out who I need to look into to get the inventory? I don't want to sell just one brand of anything.

Any help would be appreciated. I started with the niche market because it was easier to find suppliers, but with more general markets it seems much harder to get a foothold.