Special offer for the first N purchased

bos

In a week or two I will be launching a new, own made, product for sale. To attract more customers, I'm thinking of making an offer like "free shipping" for the first 10 buyers. Or "buy this product X and get product Y for free", or similiar.

I guess the latter is a bit difficult to achieve, but is it possible to make the first one happen, without manual intervention?

Would you define modifying the code as manual intervention? As far as I am aware, there is no way to accomplish that automatically with the default store setup. There may be a plugin, but I don't have experience with those.

I think the easiest solution* is to simply edit the orders as they come in, either removing and refunding shipping fees or adding a free item.

* Granted this does not scale well - it's easy enough for 10 orders, but 100 not so much and definitely not 1000+.

You could get the customer to enter a discount code and set the code to expire after 10 uses.

20 minutes ago, bos said:

Or "buy this product X and get product Y for free", or similiar.

You could just advertise this in product X description and if customer buys product X you send them product Y also.

8 minutes ago, ayz1 said:

You could get the customer to enter a discount code and set the code to expire after 10 uses.

I haven't tried discount codes yet so I had no idea you could limit them to N uses. This is a good idea.

Thanks for the tip.