404 Page Not Found on all pages except Home Page

Shari Marie

I am a total Nube but wanted to give this web built a shot. I am proud to have come this far on my own. I got CC installed, added catagories, product and changed skins even but I can not seem to figure this out. Why would I get this 404 Page Not Found on my Category and Product pages?  I may have to have professional help but for now I like the challenge but at the same time I know so very little  LOL I am hoping its just a simple setting I missed or messed up. I just don't know  what to look for or where to look for it. I need help please.

example of my problem  http://sharimariecreations.com/design-singles.html   that 404 just smacks ya in the face  LOL    uggggh

Shari Marie

Welcome Shari Marie! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

I see that your hosting account uses the "nginx" web server. It understands the directives found in the file .htaccess (which is generally used by the Apache web server).

CubeCart automatically puts a copy of an appropriate .htaccess file in its main folder. Since we get CubeCart's 404 page, as opposed to nginx's 404 page, we can assume the .htaccess file is present.

However, using these 'search-engine-friendly' web addresses requires that the web server perform a very common task, but a task that needs to be enabled at the web server configuration level. That task is called "URL Rewrite".

The directives on how to rewrite the URLs are in the .htaccess file, but the web server needs to be configured to read, understand, and execute them.

Sometimes, the hosting provider gives you the ability to enable this functionality somewhere in your hosting account's control panel. But if not, you will need to have your hosting provider's tech support get "URL Rewrite" enabled on the web server.

The reason I thought it was a 404 was because it says 404 within the context of the page that loads. (hope I'm makin sense)  my bad 

Thank you for your replies.   Honestly..........my eyes just glazed over.  I have no clue what either of you just said let alone how to fix it.    I am going to try a live support chat right now with Host Gator and see what they can do for me.  And here I thought I was doing so well LOL  I'm sure I will be back a few dozen times :)

4 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

Hi @Shari Marie that's not a 404. It's a 500. That's a server issue, not a "page not found".

Please create the error log and post here.

OK, So I just spent an hour+  in Live Chat with a nice tech from Host Gator.  In a nut shell, here it is

Orlando B

I have baked the .htaccess file for you now but doesnt seem to have fixed the issue yet.

Ultimately he ended with "you need to get a professional web developer to try and debug it."    

I could cry.  I have had my website for over 8 years....with a working shopping cart for digital embroidery designs that was working fine until the person who wrote the script for the shopping cart stopped supporting it and changed the credentials so I could no longer add product or edit pricing. Also the website builder at Host Gator that I used 8 years ago was no longer being supported and I could not edit which led me to Cube Cart.  I installed it yesterday thinking I could begin building a new one and redirect once I was ready to go live.  WRONG..   Poof my old site is no more.  I am afraid to delete anything else because I am in over my head. I could just cry.  Seriously....im devastated.

OK, So I just spent an hour+  in Live Chat with a nice tech from Host Gator.  In a nut shell, here it is.

Orlando B

I have baked the .htaccess file for you now but doesnt seem to have fixed the issue yet.

Ultimately he ended with "you need to get a professional web developer to try and debug it."    

I could cry.  I have had my website for over 8 years....with a working shopping cart for digital embroidery designs that was working fine until the person who wrote the script for the shopping cart stopped supporting it and changed the credentials so I could no longer add product or edit pricing. Also the website builder at Host Gator that I used 8 years ago was no longer being supported and I could not edit which led me to Cube Cart.  I installed it yesterday thinking I could begin building a new one and redirect once I was ready to go live.  WRONG..   Poof my old site is no more.  I am afraid to edit or delete anything else because I am in over my head. I could just cry.  Seriously....im devastated. Do I scrap it while it is still young and begin again or what?  I have not ignored the request for the error log, I just am beside myself at the moment  because I have never done it before and I need to figure that out on top of this other. Feeling overwhelmed.

In admin, at the bottom of the left-side navigation, click the PHP Info link. Scroll to the bottom to the PHP Variables table. Then look for the row that has _SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]

Let us know what the value is. It will either be nginx or Apache. According to my research, Hostgator uses nginx as a proxy, and Apache as the real web server.

That means, to me, the URL Rewrite functionality should be there, and the .htaccess file Cubecart creates has the directive to turn it on.

BSMITHER  you were spot on.  I tried another Host Gator Chat and this tech was fantabulous. He fixed it in less than 10 minutes.  Thank you for your help.

I don't know how to change the title to include (RESOL VED)  but it definitely has been resolved.  I am so thankful.   Now I want to ask if someone will "buy" one of my digital files for 1 cent to test the cart and instant download to see if I have them configured.  I will post in a separate field.  ALSO since I only sell digital products, how fan I get rid of all of the customer address and info.  I want it to be simple for the customer. I always hate those lengthy forms.

I'll be glad to test it. I think there is a thread on the forum somewhere started by another digital file seller about getting rid of all the customer address, etc. I'll hunt for it and be back.

This seems to be the thread I had in mind, but there may be a better solution somewhere already worked out.

Hi DB,  I put up a FREE one,  I got thru the payment process, but no instant download was generated.  I probably don't have the path right.  I am not sure what that should be. Thanks for this other link ....ill go check it out now.  This forum is so helpful. I am crying happy tears today LOL Last night,,,,,sad tears.  I'm on the homestretch I feel. one product in....only 101 to go LOL  I'm waiting to add more until I get the instant download resolved. One piece at a time.

I found some information but I think I actually have the path correct. I get a SUCCESS message when imputing and saving the path location in set up.  I'm stumped.  Any experienced with digital file instant download settings?  I'm getting so close now  :) Excited !  This has got to be a quick fix.

I have my path as follows   :

/home1/my username/file location/filename           I have the folder above the public html as suggested for security purposes.   What am I missing?

If you used the "Custom File Path", and the path/filename actually exists at that location, then all should be fine -- except...

Shared hosting environments may have limits on what you can access under script control. That is, using FTP to put the file in a folder that is a sibling to 'public_html', or in a folder above 'public_html' is very do-able. Your account gives the FTP server looking into your hosted space full permissions.

However, it is a different matter letting a script (which may be malicious, to make my point) have access to any folder outside 'public_html'. On a shared server, that's exactly what the server admin does not want to allow happen.

This is another case of getting a (competent) tech support person to explain whether CubeCart has permission to access folders outside 'public_html' on your account hosting space.

On the other hand, CC6 does check whether the file exists. So, if no warning message, then we can suppose that CC6 can access it.