Product List Sorting

meritmart

Might just be me, but am I missing something regarding the "Product List Sorting" function?.   I've tried changing this to most of the options and nothing changes on the front end?.   Preferably, I'd like to use the "Last Updated" option but when I change it to that, it still displays the "Date Added" sort option.

Sorry if it's an easy answer but I have searched for similar queries but found nothing :)
Thanks in advance

Marko

There is a typo fix in 6.1.4 that I think has to do with Sort (form instead of from). I'll try to find it and report back.

Not so sure it's the solution to your problem, but here it is:

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1455

There IS a GitHub issue about Sort addressed in 6.1.4, however:

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1432

Thanks for that mate but I should have mentioned I'm still on 6.1.2, no idea why but the crappy hosting I'm on had an issue with zip which is a requirement of CC post 6.1.2 (I think) but host is something I'm definitely changing, if it only affects 6.1.4 then I guess that isn't the issue but I'll check it out when I'm back home and let you know either way :)

Thanks again

Marko

Just implemented those changes, thanks for the info again, but it doesn't appear to be making a difference on how the products are sorted on the home page - I've changed the 'Product List Sorting' numerous times, cleared caches, etc and still nothing seems to change relating to the order how products appear on the front page :(

Any other suggestions/idea's welcomed

I tried a search for book and was able to sort by price and A-Z and Z-A. THAT's what I thought you were having issues with, as it has been broken for some time and only with this release fixed.

BUT what you are talking about is the order of Latest Products, which as I understand it is based on when they were first added to your store. I don't know of any other way they can be sorted.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out but I think we may be at crossed purposes.   In the ACP, under Store Settings > Layout and the option "Product List Sorting" - I was under the impression this would affect the order for the latest products on the homepage.   If it doesn't, what does "Product List Sorting" actually affect?

Cheers

Marko

There were actually several commits (in addition to those previously mentioned) related to fixing the search function:

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/pull/1408/files

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/pull/1415/files

Some relevant commentary:

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/821#issuecomment-268098207

However, as @Dirty Butter points out, the 'Latest Products' sort order is by date added - the sort order in the admin settings is used when displaying categories, not for latest products.

Thanks guys, I did eventually manage to pull my brain into gear and get to grips on what was affected but sorry for the runaround guys, just wished it had been a little clearer on the ACP what get's sorted and I know most people will consider "last added" to be the most relevant for the homepage, just sometimes if I have a bad few weeks sourcing books I hate the front page looking the same for weeks, hence the reason why I was thinking (or rather hoping) to have the ability to re-order it from the ACP now and again but hey thanks again for your replies, I now know how it's meant to operate and I did implement the above fix too so all good :)

Much appreciated

Marko

I agree it would be nice to be able to sort the home page in some other way, for example being able to choose between 'Last Added', 'Last Updated', and perhaps some others like 'Random', 'Featured' (which would additionally sort by last updated or random), 'On Sale' (would also need an additional sort qualifier).

I find it hard to imagine actually using any of the other fields to sort by, however - at least if you have more than a handful of products. Sorting by Name, Price, etc. is something that makes sense within a category or search result, but not really for the front page.

I also agree it could be made more clear in the admin settings what, exactly, each setting effects. To be fair, though, the 'Latest Products' settings are in their own sub-section - it's just not obvious that the previous section's settings don't apply.

I, too, go through spells of not adding new products (like income tax time). I don't use the Featured Item box, but maybe there would be a plugin that could put a random grouping of Featured items on the homepage. I know SemperFi has a plugin to show Sales items with or without Latest Items Showing. I use that plugin and I have it set to Randomize.

Our Enhanced Sorting Plugin allows you to sort Latest Products on the homepage in any order that you want ! This plugin adds the ability to sort multiple other things that arent possible in core - see the list below, taken from marketplace description ! A 7 day demo is also available so you can try before you buy !

Ian

* Ability to customise the display order of products within each category

* Ability to customise the display order of the Latest Products on the homepage

* Ability to customise the display order of the Best Sellers

All of the above allow any number of specific products to be enabled and then sorted and these take precedence over the default display order of the remaining products. This is all done using the standard V6 method of drag and drop, making it extremely easy to use.

In addition, the following items are also sortable and for languages and currencies, the new tab will only display those items that are enabled.

* Languages

* Currencies

* Shipping costs.  CubeCart lists cheapest to most expensive by default and the plugin allows you to specify the most expensive as the default choice