[Resolved] Upgrade from 6.1.1 to 6.1.4

Welcome DRACOMEDALS! Glad to see you made it the forums.

From any version of CubeCart to any other version of CubeCart, this is how it goes:

For a number of versions, the mechanism to have CubCart update itself has changed, such that more often than not, the best procedure is to download the package and FTP the codebase overwriting the existing scripts. (That is what CubeCart itself does. But the location to get the package has changed.)

Then run /setup/index.php.

CubeCart will make all the intermediate changes to the database.

So, the codebase is a complete version - no intermediate versions are necessary. The changes to the database are contained in a set of files, each version of CubeCart containing whatever queries are necessary to bring the database up to that version's requirements.

On 1/26/2017 at 6:09 PM, DRACOMEDALS said:

I am currently using CC 1.1.1  and I just saw the new update  1.1.4. was released.

Can I update from my current version to to 1.1.4 at once using the "force update" button or should I update my eshop step by step (to 1.1.2, then to 1.1.3 and then to 1.1.4).

Assume you actually mean 6.1.1 and want to go to 6.1.4 but in any case it makes no difference as any upgrade is a complete replacement and there are no intermediate upgrades where only changed files are replaced as with some applications.  There have been some problems in recent versions with the built in upgrade functionality so it is best to do a manual upgrade

Ian

Thank you guys and girls for taking the time to reply to my question.

I am not a developer and your help is much appreciated!! 

I wish I could say "it is all Greek to me" ....but I am Greek. I can't even say "it's rocket science to me" because as a former military officer of Artillery I know more about rockets than what I know about Cubecart.

I read your replies carefuly and I understand the the way to go is:

1. I can install straight away the 6.1.1.4 version on the 6.1.1.1 without prior installing the intermetiate versions

2. I back up my eshop (ressurections are always handy)

3. Download and extract the 6.1.1.4 files to my PC

4. Manualy replace the old folders/files with the new ones on the server where my eshop is hosted.

5. Run on the server the  /setup/index.php.

Is the above list correct and complete?

Also 1 more question: The link to my currect admin page is a random one that was alocated when I installed the 6.1.0 version.

Will that link to the page change? And if it changes how do I know the new link to it?

Thanking you all in advance

Yes all correct.  Be sure to backup the database as well as the files and when you manually upload the files, upload everything from /admin into whatever your new admin directory is called and also copy the new admin.php and rename it to be admin_XXXXXX.php suitable for your installation - that way your admin URL won't change and you will correctly upgrade the admin files without leaving duplicates

The best way of learning is asking questions and then having a go yourself exactly as you are doing !

Good luck

Ian

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ian, I was having the same problems and found this thread. Copied over the files into the new admin directory, copied all the other files over and overwrote

Went to the shop admin page

Scrolled down to the "upgrade" section, was prompted to upgrade and all ran flawlessly :)

(6.1.1 - 6.1.5)

On 3/12/2017 at 9:16 PM, OpticalPower said:

Went to the shop admin page

Scrolled down to the "upgrade" section, was prompted to upgrade and all ran flawlessly :)

Glad it was helpful but did you also copy the admin.php and overwrite your admin_XXXXXX.php file ?

It would have been better not to run the upgrade from within the admin control panel but instead you should have run www.your-domain.com/setup/index.php which completes the upgrade by making the required changes to the database.  It would be best to use an FTP client or your hosting File Manager option to check you don't have duplicate admin directories and an extra admin.php file

Ian