Paypal fee

bos

Payment options at my store are the "Print order form" and "Paypal gateway"-plugins. Most of my customers have used the Print Order Form, but since last week more and more use the Paypal-option which is fine.

I did, however, just recently find out that Paypal takes 5%  fee for all their transactions. I have not used Paypal much so I have been unaware of this, but I'm not fond of it.

If there any option or plugin, or whatever, to add 5% to the total sum prior the order is submitted and paid via Paypal?

it's against the PayPal usage policy to mark up your fee to cover their fee.

But yes, I've seen a module which solves this issue by appening a fee of x% to the cart total and adding it as a line item to the order. I don't agree with it on the grounds that PayPal can suspend your account for it.

Just because a minority do something, doesn't make it OK. However, that being said  it's up to each store owner to make a moral and informed decesion about what they do, and don't do, thus pointing it out. I am aware of some stores/people having their accounts revoked whilst others have been OK. it's a gamble.

Most things I sell in my store are things I design / create / build myself. There's not much margin on each creation, and having that already small margin eaten up by a fee not set by me is a tad sad. The option - which is really not an option - would be to increase the price for all items in the store.

For me, this is not a question of moral, it's more a question of surviving the margins.