Picture size

foz1234

Each skin has its set of image sizes it uses. These sizes, the "maximum" pixels on the image's longest side, are in the skin's config.xml file.

Some skins also allow the display of the image's source file - usually in some sort of colorbox popup.

Foundation has 800px as the largest size it will use, so there is no point in having a source image any larger than that.

However, other skins have other sizes, and the HTML in those skins to show an image may rely on the browser to scale an image to fit HTML specified dimensions. Or not.

FYI: a large dimension image of all white is extremely compressible, while a same-sized dimension image of multi-color "white noise" is likely to be uncompressible. Thus, different file sizes that equal the same memory consumption. On average, however, image dimension correlates with memory consumption. Fortunately, CC615 has code in place that should prevent PHP from crashing if the decompressing of the image would exhaust available memory.

On 2/14/2017 at 8:47 AM, bsmither said:

Each skin has its set of image sizes it uses. These sizes, the "maximum" pixels on the image's longest side, are in the skin's config.xml file.

Is this still the case? I am using the default values, and with my 34" monitor, it is resizing an image much taller than my screen.

BTW, it is a tall, thin photo.

Thanks

It is my opinion that a fix to the CSS in the Foundation skin, in an attempt to prevent the gallery from jumping around as the mouse hovers over each image in the gallery, has inadvertently caused tall and thin images to be wildly enlarged - as determined by those CSS rules instructing the browser to do so.

For now, in Foundation's file /css/cubecart.css, find:

Near lines 9-12:

a.open-clearing #img-preview {
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
}

Delete the above.

No and Yes.

No, in that there is no functionality built into CubeCart that will allow for the editing of skin template files.

Yes, in that there is an editor to compose Documents, Product Descriptions, Category Descriptions, Email Contents, the Copyright in the footer, and a "Store is Offline" message.

Please us a programmer's text editor if you are comfortable coding HTML, or you may use a program such as Dreamweaver (but only the latest couple of versions as anything prior attempts to build a complete web page) that allows for developing incomplete pages as CubeCart's template files are only sections of a page.