Order numbers and printing invoices

KevS

Hi all

This is my first post.

A bit of background, I'm trying to set up an online store for my wife (she makes fused glass artwork).  I have no coding experience so I’m completely in the dark about what actually goes on under the hood so to speak, but I can copy and paste and press buttons as good as anybody.

I've tried a few ecommerce solutions and really like cubecart.  For what I'm looking for it fits the bill.

I’ve got the site up and running, but I have a few problems that I can't resolve:

Order numbers

In the UK we need to have sequential order numbers to keep the tax man happy.  I know there was the Chuggyskins mod for previous versions and that this option was tried and withdrawn as an experimental option in the features section.  But I can’t find an up to date solution.  It’s not the whole order number that’s the problem for me, it’s just the last few random digits that need replacing with  01,02,03 etc.  Is there a way to do this?

Pro forma invoice and receipts

If a customer makes an order and then cancels the payment the order shows up in their admin area which they can then print out as a receipt. I think this could lead to all sorts of issues with the tax man.

I've altered the text on the invoice from 'reciept for' to 'proforma invoice for' in the edit phrases of the language section as a start, which overcomes the problem, but I don't know how this could be altered back to 'receipt for' once payment had been made.  Failing this would it be possible to disable the print button until the order was processing or complete or disable the button entirely in the customer section and just allow the receipts to be printed from the admin section.  Is there a way to do this?

I would be very grateful for any help.

I'm still using Chuggyskins Sequential Order Numbers mod, with alterations to keep it working with CC v6. His website appears to be gone. Tried the website again today and still Forbidden. So what is the ethical solution here? Can an active developer create a plugin based on chuggyskin's code????

When ereg was depreceated on my V3's I had issues with Estelles and Goobers mods, both of whom have retired.

Fortunately, Semperfi is handling Estelles mods. Daren was really helpful and didn't charge me anything for the support (impressive),

I also had an issue with a Goober Mod, which was obfuscated, this one took a right load of faffing to get working again.

So when these coders retire, what is the ethical code. ??

As I understand it, Estelle gave Daren her blessings. And I had help revealing the obfuscated code so I could keep a Goober mod working. I have emailed SemperFi to see if he would be interested in turning the Order Number code I have into a plugin, but haven't heard back.

As for ethics answer, Bsmither, I'll ditto Keat's :D.

Well a plugin that could do the sequential order numbers would be really useful (for a lot of folks I would imagine).

As a temporary work around for the problem with the customer being able to print receipts before they have paid, I have changed the text on the invoice from 'Receipt for' to 'Order details for' and changed the text on the print button from 'print invoice' to 'print order'. So the customer can only print the order and not a receipted invoice.

I will then have to edit the invoice manually and email it to the customer when the payment has been made.  Its not the end of the world unless of course my wife becomes huglely sucessful, but then that will be the least of my problems.  It would have been good to have had it all integrated with the store though.

I am left wondering how other folks deal with the invoice printing.  If you are VAT registered here in the UK, I think it could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare.

Kev