Cannot disable "Contact Us"

njohn

url is natchezshop.com/shop

Screenshot.jpg

All this because: For the last several weeks we have been having "db connection errors" and coincidentally numerous gibberish contacts with a RUSSIAN ip address. VERY suspicious. Want to simply have a "mail to" link for customers to reach us.  

34 minutes ago, njohn said:

url is natchezshop.com/shop

If this because: For the last several weeks we have been having "db connection errors" and coincidentally numerous gibberish contacts with a RUSSIAN ip address. VERY suspicious. Want to simply have a "mail to" link for customers to reach us.  

If you are having DB connection errors that is probably because the settings on your hosting server are set to reject connections above a certain number - the fact that you are seeing a large number of connections from Russian IP addresses shows you are probably under some sort of attack that your hosting isn't the dealing with very well

7 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

If you are having DB connection errors that is probably because the settings on your hosting server are set to reject connections above a certain number - the fact that you are seeing a large number of connections from Russian IP addresses shows you are probably under some sort of attack that your hosting isn't the dealing with very well

YES - the error OFTEN includes "too many connections"

57 minutes ago, keat said:

I've totally blocked RU (and recently BG) in my server firewall.

A tad harsh, but I don't need the hassle.

That is one approach but you could and should also include UA, CN, VN and a few others.  However, it is an option with diminishing returns, as blocking that many IP addresses slows server firewall performance down as much as or more than than allowing script kiddies from these countries through ! It is also trivial to spoof an IP address or route traffic through a constantly changing set of proxy addresses based in countries that you cannot block.  DB connection errors indicate an overload of connections to the MySQL server but how these are dealt with is very specific to each and every incident 

On 3/7/2017 at 2:12 PM, keat said:

We have a number of dealings with suppliers in CN, so if I blocked that country code, I dare say it will create a number of email problems.

lol - I wasnt suggesting that it was a good idea at all, just that CN, UA, VN, RU are all towards the top of the countries where these types of problems come from.  Besides by far the highest number of incidents come from US anyway - there are a lot of script kiddies in US but most people from other countries know that you cannot simply block US like this and route their traffic through proxies in US / UK / DE etc