Bounty for option to remove County

Nicholas Hill

The county bounty!

Firstly, thank you to the Cubecart developers for making such a great platform. So much more responsive and closer to my needs than so many other systems I have tried, including Magento and oscommerce. I think in nearly all aspects Cubecart are better than the others.

It's not perfect, though, and that's what I would like to address here;

My biggest gripe is not being able to disable the county field in admin. Users have to search through a long list of counties, which acts as an additional barrier to making that sale. Especially if they live in London or Manchester, since their locations are listed under 'G', and the field is totally unnecessary in the UK in any case. Especially if you are using a postcode lookup system which presumably populates the address correctly.

Also, if you are retailing to mostly end users, you may prefer not to ask the user to fill in company name when entering the address, or at least mark it as Optional so the user knows they don't have to worry about it. Again, the option of hiding that field would be useful.

I have spent some time trying to kill the county field eventually realising my efforts were being thwarted by additional checks validating the address part way against database tables.

So here goes: If the cubecart developers make the next, or next-but-one version have an admin option to not ask for County, I pledge to pay a £50 bounty.

Edited by Nicholas Hill
  • Like 1

Welcome Nicholas Hill! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

Let me start by mentioning:

https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/postcode-anywhere
https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/uk-postcode-lookup-/-address-finder

Since CC6 is 100% human-readable, we can try to find where to kill the places where CubeCart wants to use and verify the County field.

But, depending on the commercial shipper you use, they may want a County for their Rate Request.

" London or Manchester, since their locations are listed under 'G' "

'G' being "Greater London" and "Greater Manchester"? Would you say that is the official name of the County? Because we can change the name. (CubeCart uses an ID value to keep things straight.)

In admin, Countries/Zones, Zones tab, click the View All link. Scroll to the UK area, find Greater London, and click on the actual name. Change it to what you want. Do the same for Greater Manchester. At the bottom of the list, click Save.