batch images in category page

njohn

I need to put 64+ images in a two column table. Doing it one by one would be quite troublesome and in addition I'll want to do it several times with different images on several pages. Is it possible/how to do?

It seems like what you want is for some sort of automation. If so, then Smarty can accept an array and build a table around it.

So, the following is a concise example:

$imgArray = (
 "image1.jpg",
 "image2.jpg",
 "image3.jpg",
 "image4.jpg",
);
$GLOBALS['smarty']->assign('imgArray', $imgArray);

Then, in the template where you want the table:

{* See http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/language.function.html.table.tpl *}
{html_table loop=$imgArray cols=2}

3 minutes ago, Dirty Butter said:

I saw some promising looking information when I Googled "how to design a smarty table". But this is WAY past my abilities!! Bsmither will be the one who'll know exactly how to help you.

You cared enough to try

Currently, that would depend where you want this table to appear.

The topic subject says "Category page", so I conclude you will want to make the data available to Smarty before Smarty renders the "content.category.php" template.

There are two main places where you can add this: in the Catalogue class, the searchCatalogue() function (showing the products in a category is actually a search), and then the displayCategory() function.

In searchCatalogue(), we can use whatever is going on in the search for products (even if it is searching for all products in a given category) to determine what set of images we want to show.

In displayCategory(), we can use whatever is going on with the category itself, its description, and its sub-categories.

Issue overcome by changing consideration - images are too small when displayed in a 2 col table . So I have to show them in 1 col, negating the need to use a table.

But thank you bsmither for your typical willingness to assist.