[Resolved] Turn manufacturer field into a tag?

rickobee

Is it possible at all to make the manufacturers field behave as a tag? So the manufacturer on a product page would link to all products from that manufacturer?

If not, is it possible to search manufacturers? Or perhaps build a link that would return those results?

In my case, I'm building a shop for books so I'd love some sort of tag (or tag-like) system for either publishers or authors. I searched the forums and Google with every combination I could think of but am hoping I've just missed the solution somewhere.

Thanks very much,

You would need a Code Snippet.

The standard search mechanism must have keywords to search on. Then, from the Advanced Search page, you can filter against chosen Manufacturers.

You may think that one can search for wild-card anything, and name the manufacturer in the URL, but it doesn't work that way - unfortunately.

Here is a Code Snippet you can try:

In admin, Manage Hooks, Code Snippets tab, click Add Snippet.

Enabled: checked
Unique ID: search_specific@cubecart        -- max 32 chars
Execution Order: 1
Description: Allows to search for specific properties
Trigger: class.catalogue.pre_search
Version: 1.0
Author: https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/52317-turn-manufacturer-field-into-a-tag/
PHP Code:
<?php
  /* Specify in the array the names of the columns containing specific value properties of the inventory.
   * That is, the property that uniquely identifies an item.
   * Use the actual names of the columns holding these properties.
   */

$specific_properties = array(
      'found' => "Publisher",      // Found "what" on the Search Results page
      'table' => "CubeCart_manufacturers",
      'alias' => "CCM",
      'on' => array('master' => "I.manufacturer", 'slave' => "id"),
      'column' => array("name"),
  );

foreach($specific_properties['column'] as $property) {
    if(isset($search_data[$specific_properties['alias']][$property]) && !empty($search_data[$specific_properties['alias']][$property])) {
      $search_mode = ($search_mode == 'RLIKE' || $search_mode == 'LIKE') ? $search_mode : 'RLIKE'; // Can't use fulltext - not using fulltext index
      $_REQUEST['search']['keywords'] = $specific_properties['found'].":".$search_data[$specific_properties['alias']][$property]; // Needed to show on Search Results page

$joins[] = sprintf(
           '%1$s'.$specific_properties['table']." AS ".$specific_properties['alias']
          .' ON '.$specific_properties['on']['master'].' = '.$specific_properties['alias'].'.'.$specific_properties['on']['slave']
         ,$GLOBALS['config']->get('config', 'dbprefix')
      );
      $where[] = $specific_properties['alias'].".".$property." LIKE ".$GLOBALS['db']->sqlSafe("%".$search_data[$specific_properties['alias']][$property]."%",true);  // example, searching for "%Riley%" anywhere in the name;

}
  }

Now, this gives you a specific URL you can use to initiate a search. That is to say, if you put this URL as a link on a page, CubeCart will perform a search for what you want:

http://www.mystore.com/search.html?search%5BCCM%5D%5Bname%5D=Riley&_a=category

where Riley is part of the Manufacturer's name.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rickobee said:

Is it possible at all to make the manufacturers field behave as a tag? So the manufacturer on a product page would link to all products from that manufacturer?

If not, is it possible to search manufacturers? Or perhaps build a link that would return those results?

We have a plugin that provides all this and more.  It isn't on the marketplace yet but available from our website

Ian

• Like 1

Now, this gives you a specific URL you can use to initiate a search. That is to say, if you put this URL as a link on a page, CubeCart will perform a search for what you want:

http://www.mystore.com/search.html?search%5BCCM%5D%5Bname%5D=Riley&_a=category

where Riley is part of the Manufacturer's name.

bsmither, this works perfectly. Thanks so much! And the ability to add functionality without editing code is brilliant, what a great feature.

Thanks again!