[Resolved] 404 error from site map

Christopher Short

4 minutes ago, bsmither said:

The sitemap to which you posted a link a few posts back?

That site map has only one instance of "xxlarge-skyangle-deployment-bag.html" (line 5784).

right, but that isn't the proper link for that product. I have 75 other instances of the same thing, where the new site map has bad links in it. This is just one case of it. I need to see how to get this to stop happening.

If I use the URL for that product from the XML file I downloaded from the link posted earlier, I do get that product. The XML file has this as the URL:
www.csrocketry.com/recovery-supplies/skyangle/deployment-bag/xxlarge-skyangle-deployment-bag.html

What would be another bad URL from that XML file?

This is the list of 404 errors from google. Most of these show they are linked from the sitemap.xml, which doesn't make sense to me since the sitemap was updated on the 18th and these links should be really old(most have been changed for many months). I got it to come down from the 700 there was a few months ago but these keep reoccurring.

www-csrocketry-com_20170324T163901Z_CrawlErrors.csv

Are we assuming this report is the direct result of having Google crawl (verify) your site from the sitemap most recently given to it?

Or can we guess that this report is NOT from a direct result of having Google verify from the most recent sitemap, but rather an aggregation of 're-verification' checks to make sure what was found earlier is still there?

If the latter, then it would seem to me that the appropriate response would be to tell Google to delete everything it has ever crawled from that site and then to make a fresh crawl, indexing only what is in the sitemap located at the store.

2 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Are we assuming this report is the direct result of having Google crawl (verify) your site from the sitemap most recently given to it?

Or can we guess that this report is NOT from a direct result of having Google verify from the most recent sitemap, but rather an aggregation of 're-verification' checks to make sure what was found earlier is still there?

If the latter, then it would seem to me that the appropriate response would be to tell Google to delete everything it has ever crawled from that site and then to make a fresh crawl, indexing only what is in the sitemap located at the store.

I'm assuming they print this as a direct result from the crawl. I'll look into a fresh crawl then.

Scanning through the XML file posted earlier, I see several URLs that are in the /store/ subdirectory, and the /quickbooks-pos-imported-inventory/ subdirectory. These obviously are vestigial remnants of an earlier crawl.

One other URL has me puzzled, however: /r45-htlo.html

This was last seen 3/22 and then not seen 3/22.

2 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Scanning through the XML file posted earlier, I see several URLs that are in the /store/ subdirectory, and the /quickbooks-pos-imported-inventory/ subdirectory. These obviously are vestigial remnants of an earlier crawl.

One other URL has me puzzled, however: /r45-htlo.html

This was last seen 3/22 and then not seen 3/22.

https://www.csrocketry.com/research-supplies/chemicals/r45-htlo.html

its still there.

The quickbooks sub directory should be a private directory, thats my preload area for new products. That category isn't active. Any way to block it?

The sitemap should not be including any category where the status is not enabled. But a product assigned to that category will be shown if the product itself is enabled. (I think that's a bug and an issue created in the Github.)

I will look into what to do to check if a product's primary category is enabled for sitemap purposes.