Can't update to latest version

Paleo

For quite a while now, the dashboard has a notification on it telling me that I need to update from version 6.1.1 to 6.1.5, so I go to the upgrade page.

The upgrade page tells me v6.1.1 is the latest version, and that I don't need to upgrade.

If I click force upgrade, the page sits and loads for a few minutes, then times out or just stops loading and nothing happens.

What do I do?

Thanks for your quick reply.

So, if someone does not have a PC and is doing this all on a mobile phone, what would the procedure be?

Would I need to backup everything  (database, ect) and save it on my phone, then force an upgrade for cubecart within cpanel? Or do I just backup everything in the backup section of the cubecart admin interface, then run setup another way?

Edited by Paleo
Typo

To upload the files you either need to use an FTP client (apps are available for phones) or use cPanel File Manager.

To backup, you can try using the built in routine but this can often fail depending on the size of your store and the settings within your hosting account.  A database backup via phpMyAdmin and backing up files manually via FTP or File Manager is best

Version 6.1.6 will still have the upgrade problem. But it has the fix that is supposed to finally solve all this issue, so upgrading to 6.1.7 and onward will be fine. There's usually a flurry of GitHub fixes right before a new release is coming out - and there's not been any of that of late. But there have been some major changes that I think most people will like in 6.1.6. You can get a sense of what is upcoming by going to GitHub and looking at what issues have been closed lately.

Havenswift has mentioned (in another thread about the upgrading problems of late) that there are some security issues that have been resolved since 6.1.1.

9 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

Havenswift has mentioned (in another thread about the upgrading problems of late) that there are some security issues that have been resolved since 6.1.1.

In other words don't wait until 6.1.6 is out before upgrading !  The security issues are serious and should be patched by everyone immediately and there is no confirmed release date for 6.1.6 yet.  Don't look at this as you having to do two upgrades rather than one as you should really be looking at upgrading after each release anyway !

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with these update failures.

A month ago, I updated a 3.18 site to 6.1.5 without any major failings on the upgrade side.

Then again two weeks ago, a 3.20 site to 6.1.5.

And also last week a dummy run updating a 6.0.10 site to 6.1.5.

I did run in to issues with this one, due to the PHP 5.4 limitations, but this was easily overcome by over writing config.class and ini.inc.php, and pressing refresh a couple of times.

Yeah, definitely a new thing.

I've upgraded the store before, and never had an issue. Wasn't until I hit 6.1.1 that it bugged the update process.

I got the 6.1.5 zip downloaded, put in the file manager, and extracted. Now I just need to figure what to copy to where, and do so without overwriting my store and all its content. Haha

I'm sure there's a walk-through somewhere.

4 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

It has been covered in quite a few threads on here previously - maybe the best to follow is 

Yeah, that's the one I was going to go through and try to follow.

Terrified I'm somehow going to erase all my content. :/

I'll give it a shot later today.

Backup your database as well as your files. I download all the files, except for images, to my hard drive. And I make a copy of the database in phpMyAdmin, as well as a zipped backup. That way, if the worst were to happen - you can get back to your old version. That way you don't need to be so nervous about doing something new to you.

I've been upgrading manually for a very long time, thanks to all the edits I have made to stock code that I don't want to lose.

• Like 1

Using Cpanel, I copy and paste the entire public_html in the root directory, give it a name like public_html-pre-update..

It takes no more than about 10 seconds.

Then using PHP MYadmin, I also copy the database to an entirely new database, again, this takes no more than about 10 seconds.

I wouldn't consider an update without doing this first.

Okay.

Public_html backed up and so is the database.

Cubecart 6.1.5 files have been extracted in a new folder named something else.

Now, do I just copy/move each folder manually into the real public_html and overwrite each? Do I leave any files alone, like the images folder?

Or do I just move the admin files?

Did you put your store into maintenance mode before doing the backup - if not and you did the backup but havent done the upgrade yet, then your backup is 2-3 hours out of date !

You need to upload ALL files from the extracted zip file, overwriting all that are on your website already BUT ensuring that everything from /admin directory goes into your renamed admin_XXXXXX directory.  You also need to change the admin.php so it matches you current admin_YYYYYY.php file and then upload

Ian

Been a crazy week, so I haven't gotten to this yet. Planning to do it today.

Just to clarify, havenswift, I rename the /admin folder in public_html to something else, and copy it somewhere else along with the admin.php file?

Then overwrite all the folders in public_html with the 6.1.5 extracted ones.

Afterwards, do I take the /admin and admin.php and change them back to normal and put them back in the public_html folder, overwriting the /admin and admin.php files from 6.1.5?

2 hours ago, Paleo said:

I rename the /admin folder in public_html to something else, and copy it somewhere else along with the admin.php file?

Then overwrite all the folders in public_html with the 6.1.5 extracted ones.

Afterwards, do I take the /admin and admin.php and change them back to normal and put them back in the public_html folder, overwriting the /admin and admin.php files from 6.1.5?

If you are on 6.1.1 then you should not have a /admin directory or an admin.php as these should have been renamed to /admin_XXXXXX and admin_YYYYYY.php (where X and Y are random characters).  If for some strange reason you do have them, then simply upload all files from the zip file, overwriting everything that is there

Take a look in your global.inc.php file in the includes folder. Whatever the admin folder and file are named there is where you want your upgraded re-named?? admin folder and file code to go.

IF you DO have re-named AND regular named admin.php and admin folder - Don't do anything with the original named ones, like from 6.1. When you have the install working properly THEN delete the old original named admin file/folder.

Yeah, I have both.

In public_html there's an admin folder, and then under it is a folder with letters and numbets, admin_XXXXX. 

Both had folders named skins and sources.

So basically, the admin folder without the letters and numbers is useless. So I take the admin folder from the 6.1.5 zip file, and change the name to make it match the admin_XXXXX folder, then overwrite.

I'm also supposed to rename the admin.php file, but I don't see which folder it is in. 

Also, if I overwrite every folder contained in public_html like images, databse, ect... won't I lose basically everything and start over with a blank store?

Excuse my ignorance.

13 hours ago, Paleo said:

Yeah, I have both.

In public_html there's an admin folder, and then under it is a folder with letters and numbets, admin_XXXXX. 

Both had folders named skins and sources.

So basically, the admin folder without the letters and numbers is useless. So I take the admin folder from the 6.1.5 zip file, and change the name to make it match the admin_XXXXX folder, then overwrite.

You Are CORRECT.

When you are sure you have a good install you will want to delete the old useless plain admin folder.

I'm also supposed to rename the admin.php file, but I don't see which folder it is in. 

The admin.php file is in the store's root - If you look in the includes/global.inc.php file you will see what that file was re-named to - admin_XXX.php. If you have both, you need to delete the plain old admin.php file.

Also, if I overwrite every folder contained in public_html like images, databse, ect... won't I lose basically everything and start over with a blank store?

The image source folder in the setup files is empty. Your current images are safe.  ANY edits you have made to source code in your old version WILL be lost. So if you made cosmetic changes to Foundation, they will be over-written. (If you are using any other skin, it won't be over-written, but you may have to make some skin changes to keep it working properly)

If you have previously made edits to admin code (for instance, maybe Bsmither had helped you with some issue????)  THOSE edits will have to be added back in to the upgraded files.That's why you need a good backup of your current files, so you can add your wanted edits back in.

The 6.1.5 setup script WILL make some changes to your database, but your actual store data will still be there. Some of the table structure might change.  That's why you need a good backup of your database before you do this - just in case something goes wrong.

I completely understand your trepidation. You are being justifiably cautious to be sure you understand what's happening before you do it. But it's really not as bad as writing it all down makes it sound. If you have good backups, you'll be OK. If worse comes to worse, you can go back to your old version and pay to have it done for you.

I'm sorry you are having to use my poor skills as your help on this. I know how to do it, but I'm not so good at getting it all down so it makes sense.

Mmkay.

Update is done, store is now 6.1.5 but the update installer renamed my admin_xxxx folder, and my admin_xxxx.php file.

But, the store is functioning, and I don't seem to be having any issues...

Does this present any issue?