link resolves to sale items

keat

I spotted a crawl error on my webmaster tools account, so followed the link and it takes me to a category, that doesn't appear to exists.

This is same on 3 different sites.

/index.php?searchStr=&act=viewCat

appear to take me to a category called sale items which is empty.

I have a sitemap.xml entry for /index.php?_a=saleitems that is legitimate.

I do remember there was a code change some time ago that changed the logic so Sale Items were in the sitemap only if SOME of the store products were on sale. If ALL items were on sale, it did not show in the sitemap. And if NONE of the items were on sale, it did not show in the sitemap.

I think this started as a Bsmither change he helped me with, but I'm pretty sure it ended up being added to stock code.

All the sites were V3, I'll have to scour the documents to see if there's a link embedded anywhere.

Unfortunately, webmastertools gives nothing away to the location of any links.

http://www.cabletiesonline.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=&act=viewCat

I ran a query in the database for the string /index.php?searchStr=&act=viewCat  and can't find this embedded in any products or doc contents, so I've no idea where this is being generated.

Intersting that I tried this on Dirty Butters site and it does the same.

Drop the string ' /index.php?searchStr=&act=viewCat ' directly after the URL and it will resolve to 'Sale Items' so it's not just mine.

2 hours ago, keat said:

Intersting that I tried this on Dirty Butters site and it does the same.

Drop the string ' /index.php?searchStr=&act=viewCat ' directly after the URL and it will resolve to 'Sale Items' so it's not just mine.

But I just checked, and I do NOT have any Webmaster Tools crawl errors for sale items. I DO get 404 crawl errors for old v4 formed links, no matter how hard I've tried to eliminate all of them. The only thing that makes sense is that somewhere in the universe some old aggregate crawler page still has those old links on a page.