Christopher Short

Authorizations with paypal

11 posts in this topic

Can we add the ability to use authorizations from paypal to the cubecart? I would like to have the status go to processing upon authorization notification from the ipn, and then an option to capture in cubecart would also be nice. This allows cost adjustments for the shipping corrections as is typical for orders, while removing refunds(PayPal got mad at me for excessive refunds). Once the capture button is pressed, the order status can change to complete.

Is there a particular reason why you have frequent shipping adjustments? I have a handling charge built into our s/h pricing that allows me to absorb any slight cost variations. Are you setup so customer pays only the exact postage amount?

19 minutes ago, Dirty Butter said:

Is there a particular reason why you have frequent shipping adjustments? I have a handling charge built into our s/h pricing that allows me to absorb any slight cost variations. Are you setup so customer pays only the exact postage amount?

I charge exact, because costs are already very high. The items I sell vary so widely that the built in solutions are often insufficient to cover costs, so I have them set to aim high. Plus I have picked up business because the customer knows I am not screwing them on shipping charges like everyone else in my industry does.

I've encountered this same problem on our collectibles store, where it's really hard to know what packaged weight will be without actually packaging it before listing it. I don't have storage room to do that.

I finally ended up estimating shipping on the high side and then including the cash difference in with the packing slip. Of course it would be more business like to provide a check or money order refund, but that store is very low volume, anyway.

I hope someone can help you with the PayPal authorizations solution you seek. This sort of thing sounds like something Noodleman would be a good developer to ask for help with it.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Butter said:

I've encountered this same problem on our collectibles store, where it's really hard to know what packaged weight will be without actually packaging it before listing it. I don't have storage room to do that.

I finally ended up estimating shipping on the high side and then including the cash difference in with the packing slip. Of course it would be more business like to provide a check or money order refund, but that store is very low volume, anyway.

I hope someone can help you with the PayPal authorizations solution you seek. This sort of thing sounds like something Noodleman would be a good developer to ask for help with it.

He is my go to person for everything, just figured I would ask here first.

I tried to search on GitHub to see if you or anyone else has posted this on GitHub, but I didn't find anything. Could you please post it?

1 hour ago, Dirty Butter said:

I tried to search on GitHub to see if you or anyone else has posted this on GitHub, but I didn't find anything. Could you please post it?

I don't think I have anything for github

On 4/15/2017 at 11:15 AM, Christopher Short said:

Can we add the ability to use authorizations from paypal to the cubecart?

You'll come closer to getting this added to CC if you post your request for it  on GitHub.

7 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

You'll come closer to getting this added to CC if you post your request for it  on GitHub.

I added one, not sure if I did it right though.

3 hours ago, Christopher Short said:

I added one, not sure if I did it right though.

That is fine although added reference to this thread for you.

Also useful to add the issue URL in this thread : https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1606

I'll just point out that order status changes to Processing rather than Complete even if using the capture (instead of authorize) option at checkout, and I suspect this is the case for most if not all payment gateways.

However, there is a setting under the 'Misc' heading in admin->store settings->features labeled 'Allow order "Processing" status to be skipped?" that may do what you want already. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it may update orders to Complete once payment is confirmed, probably originally implemented for digital products.