Language changes automatically to English upon registering

Hi, folks,

I am new to Cubecart and I see it as a great software.

The (small) issue I have is that my native site is not English it is Lithuanian. There was no language pack for that, so I have translated most of the language strings myself. All that is fine and works. So, the default language is Lithuanian on my site. However, when a new customer registers, the language changes automatically into English and I want it to stay in Lithuanian. Of course, customer can change that back into Lithuanian but why it changes into English in the first place? How can I change that? My site is here: http://www.kristustavyje.lt/shop/

For the most part, they do still work but there are an increasing number of functional changes that are not included as the old skins are not updated and quite a few users are reporting various issues.    Not saying it is the skin that is causing the issue and you can eliminate that by switching the default skin to use the supplied Foundation (which is a much better choice if you want a free skin although there are several good commercial skins available as well) and then doing the same test.  If it works OK in Foundation which I suspect it will do, then it points to the skin !

Ian

No, sorry, I deleted my previous post, where I said, that it is gone, for it is not gone! I just looked at the things that are translated into Lithuanian, like descriptions of the books, and thought it is gone, while on a second glance I noticed that it is still there!

OK - I've picked up a piece of advice from Bsmither about a similar situation:

Please enable CubeCart's debug (Store Settings, Advanced tab, and add your IP address in the associated field (www.whatismyip.com).

Then, when viewing the General tab, scroll to the bottom and look for:

__admin

'user_language' => xx-XX

Well that appears to mean the database thinks you have British English as your default language. That would explain the default customer language being English.

So, the question now becomes why does it think that. Be sure that you have Lithuanian set as the default language in Store Settings>General tab.

I do not know why it thinks that, but in the Store Settings>General tab it is definitely Lithuanian. Country Lithuania and default language Lithuanian. My dashboard is in English though, might this be a problem?

Edited by Sheterhand

I really don't know, but I'm out of my depth at this point. How did you get admin in English and storefront in Lithuanian?

I just tried an obviously fake registration and see it changes to

lang="en-GB"

What language is shown in your template main.php? It should be -

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="{$TEXT_DIRECTION}" lang="{$HTML_LANG}">

There was no translation, so I translated it. You can click in the Administrator panel top right corner, where it says Welcome back "Your Name." There you can choose your administrator default language. I have 2 options here: English (UK) and Lithuanian. Mine is set to English, because the terms are less confusing to me.

Mine has always been US in both, so I never had to deal with that. Like I said, I'm out of my depth. Sorry. You could try making another admin with Lithuanian language and see if that solves it on the front end. It might help someone with more knowledge know what needs fixing.

It did the same thing for me when I registered.

I don't know how it could have any effect on this, but there was an edit in en-GB.xml that you should carry over to your Lithuanian xml file. Change your maxVersion to 6.*.*

<code>en-GB</code>
    <character_set>utf-8</character_set>
    <version>1.0.0</version>
    <minVersion>5.0.0</minVersion>
    <maxVersion>6.*.*</maxVersion>
    <default_currency>GBP</default_currency>
<text-direction>ltr</text-direction>

When there are language file changes on CC upgrades - do you edit your Lithuanian files to keep up with the changes?

I tried now creating another administrator, logged in with him and set dashboard language to lithuanian. Opened a new browser private window and tried to register a new user. No changes. When the new user is created, his default language changes into English.

Viewing my database, that does seem to be the case - all customers have their language set as en_GB. Since I'm in the US, I simply deleted that file so the only language file available to the site is en_US, but obviously that won't work for you.

I'll create an issue on GitHub for this and see if we can get it fixed.

Edited by bsandall

Dirty Butter: This edit is already there in my lt-LT.xml file. So, apparently it has no impact.

Bsandall: Thank you for willing to raise this issue on GitHub for me.

And thank you guys for your willingness to help. I have one more issue, with which maybe you could help me. My shop sells downloadable files. Those files are limited in how many times you can download them (which is 10 and which is fine with me) and how long it will stay accessible to the customer, which to my understanding is 8 hours. And 8 hours is not enough for me, I would like to make it longer, 5 days, for instance. I didn't find any setting to change it. Do you know, how to do it?