[Resolved] 403 Forbidden Server configuration does not allow access to this page.

keat

I've 2 sites on a hosting plan. (both on 6.1.7)

When trying to edit a product, i receive the following error.

403 Forbidden

Server configuration does not allow access to this page.

I'm not ruling out a bad code edit at my end at this stage, but before I log a ticket with the hosts, does anyone have any clues where to start looking.

I know if i log a ticket with the host, it'll be 24 hours before i get a reply, and then i'll get the run around for a week.

There is nothing in error.log, cart errors or raw access logs giving any indication.

8 minutes ago, keat said:

I know if i log a ticket with the host, it'll be 24 hours before i get a reply, and then i'll get the run around for a week.

24 hours for a reply and then messed around for a week - my first suggestion is to immediately change hosting companies !

403 errors, especially in those circumstance, are almost certainly due to a mod_security rule trip.  It will be being caused by something within the description content but sometimes, content that looks fine trips a rule.  Depending on the rule, often it is fine to simply whitelist that although understanding what the rule is and why it is being tripped is always a good idea.  You may whitelist that rule, try it again and trip another one as the process stops at the first rule trip and you can hit successive ones.

Checking which rule has been tripped and whitelisting it is a job for your host unless you have root WHM access - back to point one though !

Ian

HostPapa were great when I signed up in 2008, support was immediate, and via webchat.

Over the last few years however, support has gone out to India, and it's pretty diabolical, for this reason, I bought my own dedicated server, and have our important sites running from this.

The sites in question are low volume sites, so I left them where they were.

£80 per year for 100 databases, unlimited space and email addresses isn't bad, just a shame that the support went south.

Any way to recreate this from a customer perspective, so I can point the hosts in the right direction.

There will probably be resource limits in the fine print. cubecart.com is on a VPS with CloudLinux and cPanel. Extremely easy to manage yourself.

You really do get what you pay for. I think we pay $780 per year which i think is great value. I think thats just £50 a month. 

1 hour ago, keat said:

The fault was indeed identified as a false positive on a modsec rule.

You are welcome !  It isn't necessarily a false positive - that can only be determined by looking at the rule and the data (description) being saved but while mod_sec is generally good, it does trip sometimes when it shouldn't.