[Resolved] New field in products in admin.

violinman

Hello, I have added a new text field to products general in the admin products.index.php. It appears ok and accepts input but it does not save the contents when I click save, could that be related to the data base not being aware of the new variable? If so how would I remedy the problem please.

Thank you,

Brian

14 minutes ago, violinman said:

could that be related to the data base not being aware of the new variable? If so how would I remedy the problem please.

Hi Brian

That would be exactly it - if the database isnt aware of the new field where is the data supposed to be saved ? You can add new fields via phpMyAdmin

Ian

It is possible to run MySQL commands within CubeCart via the Query Database option under maintenance but if you are not an expert at MySQL then I would always suggest using phpMyAdmin which is easier and should be available from within your hosting control panel (cPanel and Plesk both have options)

Ian

Thank you Ian, I have just checked, I have PhpMyAdmin available on the server, I have never used it before so I might buy myself a book on the subject before I start adding bits as I don't want to corrupt it, I have always regarded MySQL as a bit of a black art but I suppose it is no more difficult than PHP which I cope with ok once I find the relevant file!

Thank you for your help and advice.

Brian

You are welcome and if you cope with php then you will get at least the basics (and probably much more) of MySQL easily - good online documentation is available

You should really look at creating plugins rather than changing core code as well.  At the moment it is only the odd field but it is a very slippery slope and soon you will end up with a store that is much more complex to upgrade