Newsletters - where is it stored ?

sailing123

Hi

Creating a newsletter via admin at the moment. What I would like to understand is where is the content of that newsletter, once created (not referring to email template), is stored ? ie what's the URL for it ?

I noticed that when you click on unsubscribe, the page that opens contains the heading:

"Newsletters

There are no archived newsletters right now."  So I am guessing that is where they will show ?

Also, I would like to add a message on my newsletter like "Email or pictures not displaying correctly? Please click here to view it as a web page.", also the reason why I am asking.

Many thanks

S.

I'm a little confused, would it create a URL. ?

I've just created a test newsletter, and it arrived as an email.

Surely, the PHP script creates the email based on the database contents.

or am i missing your point ??

Whilst on the subject of newsletter, I'm really paranoid about myserver being blacklisted, so for this reason, I use mailchimp.

Mailchimp offer a free service if your'e emailing to less than 2000 recipients.

Worth a look.

Hi keat,

Mailchimp is too expensive, I have well exceeded the 2000 ....

Normally your newsletter is available on your website as well so that customers who cannot read it properly via their email system, click on the hyperlink which takes them to your newsletter web page address.

This is why I asked where is the newsletter on the website as clearly there would not be a heading "newsletter archive" for nothing on page https://www.yourdomain/index.php?_a=unsubscribe.

Also, looking at the html coding of the Default Newsletter under email templates, something is wrong. The content is outside the <body> and <html> and all the normal data in the <head> is in the <body> tag ??? . Every time I am correcting it to put it right, I save and the system keeps on changing the coding back to the original one.

At the moment, it is given as :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#f7f7f7"><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<style type="text/css">html, body, table {
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 14px;
}
</style>
</body>
</html>
<title>Default HTML Newsletter Template</title>
<base href="{$DATA.storeURL}" />
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
    <tbody>
        <tr> ........

But it should be in my view as follows:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>

<title>Default HTML Newsletter Template</title>

<base href="{$DATA.storeURL}" />

<style type="text/css">html, body, table {
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 14px;}
</style>

</head>

<body bgcolor="#f7f7f7"><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

(BODY CONTENT)

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
    <tbody>
        <tr> ......

(END OF BODY CONTENT)

</body>
</html>

I think I will ask Al to take a look at this.

S.

Edited by sailing123

I have been engaging with Al on the subject and clearly the CKEditor is unstable. Al advised me to type my coding rather than copying and paste but believe me I have been working on this for hours now and it makes no difference.

One minute the changes are saved fine, you then type a lot more and make amendments and the editor has decided to mix your coding again every time you save. It is unstable and unpredictable.

I am now running out of steam and will have to send a very basic email newsletter, not happy.

As far as the URL question is concerned, I sorted it out myself and implemented what I used to do with CC4. Created in cpanel a new folder called newsletter and copy and paste the entire newsletter coding into a blank html file, saved it and done. Now I have a webpage of the newsletter for customers who experience difficulties of reading the email or viewing pictures.

No one has yet managed to comment on why the unsubscribe page states the following which I would believe where the URL of each newsletter should be:

"Newsletters

There are no archived newsletters right now."

Nevermind, enough for today.

Edited by sailing123

" where is the content of that newsletter "

It is in the database table CubeCart_newsletter.

The list of status 'enabled' newsletters will be listed on the customer's Account, Newsletters page. Each item in that list is a link back to CubeCart with ?_a=newsletter&newsletter_id=xx

I do not yet know if the SEO class gets involved by creating a friendly URL.

When coming to CubeCart with this link, the function at CubeCart->_newsletter() is invoked. Here, the specific contents of that newsletter is given to the skin template content.newsletter.php and is displayed like any other CubeCart content page (a content page such as a document or category).

As of (I think) when CC included the latest version of CKEditor, it now does not display email/newsletter (outer) templates correctly (as opposed to email content templates) and will save them corrupted. I think I found out why, and I thought I created an issue in the Github, but I can't find it right now.

Hi Bsmither,

I understand where in the back end the newsletter & content is stored. What I was after is where is it on the front end for the subscribers going to the website. I did a test as a customer with Yes ticked for " Subscribed to newsletter? ", logged in, went into the newsletter subscriptions sections and there is no newsletter stored there. Nevermind. I did my own directory now.

Regarding CKEditor, it does not like anything in the <head> section especially any styling. So instead I went for inline styling with nested tables and the result is pretty good, albeit not responsive. However if you reduce the table width to 60%, it is pretty acceptable.

S.