500 timout error on admin login

fettlebox

I have 2 cc installs on same server.  Both 6.1.8

One is working fine but lots of server errors as posted here.  This one has several plugins.

The other shop we can't log into admin panel.  It eventually times out with a 500 error.  This started when already logged into the ACP   Moving around within brought up same error but now logged out we can't get back in.  Due to lack of plugins it's not getting the server errors the working shop is getting but those it is getting are unique to this shop so I think they may give a clue.

Any ideas please?

[19-Jun-2017 21:03:34 UTC] PHP Warning:  Invalid Security Token in /home/****/public_html/classes/sanitize.class.php on line 150
[19-Jun-2017 21:11:57 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/****/public_html/classes/db/mysql.class.php on line 36
[19-Jun-2017 21:12:46 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/****/public_html/classes/db/mysql.class.php on line 36
[19-Jun-2017 21:12:48 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/****/public_html/classes/db/mysql.class.php on line 36
[19-Jun-2017 21:17:32 UTC] PHP Warning:  Invalid Security Token in /home/****/public_html/classes/sanitize.class.php on line 150
[19-Jun-2017 21:18:10 UTC] PHP Warning:  Invalid Security Token in /home/****/public_html/classes/sanitize.class.php on line 150
[19-Jun-2017 21:19:19 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019
[19-Jun-2017 21:20:45 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019
[19-Jun-2017 21:25:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undef

Edited by fettlebox

One of the installations must be using a different build of PHP. The errors above are saying that the MySQL functions are not available (where MySQLi is probably what is available), and the Multi-byte functions are not available.

If your hosting environment is set up so that you can control what extensions are enabled for PHP, please check that. The latest version of CC needs Multi-byte and also a ZIP Archive extension enabled.

Those errors were from when we switched to PHP 5.4 as this wasn't set up previously on the server. The issue happens in all versions of PHP. The site loads fine, I have created a customer account, can browse around the site etc OK. When you go to the admin section, the page loads initially, allowing you to enter the username and password. If you out the wrong credentials in, it tells you so. However, when you enter the correct credentials, it starts to load, but never completes. It's just times out. This is the actual issue we are seeing. 

The server runs multiple websites, from WordPress, to xenforo to Prestashop, and no other sites on there have any issues. This is a newly migrated site to this server. 

Thanks Matt  - I've realised my error when posting the log.  The log in the acp reads latest error at top.   As we couldn't get into the acp I got the error log file via filemanager.   That reads newest errors at the bottom!   There was a restriction on openbasedir which was affecting updating of order status that Matt fixed.    Due to the way the error log file reads I've pasted the errors above the time of the fix instead of below.  My bad.

The only error that has occurred since the restriction was lifted is :

[19-Jun-2017 21:36:12 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019
[19-Jun-2017 21:36:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019
[19-Jun-2017 21:36:17 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019
[19-Jun-2017 21:36:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019
[19-Jun-2017 21:36:54 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/****/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 1019

I'm not seeing this error among the many errors I'm getting on my other working shop (subject of another thread) so suspect this is significant

Edited by fettlebox

8 minutes ago, Noodleman said:

Why are you using PHP 5.4?

You want to be using AT LEAST PHP 5.6. anything prior to PHP 5.6 is insecure.
http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Your PHp version is missing libraries, in this case you need top install the PHP Multibyte string functions into PHP.

We switched to PHP5.4 as a test, as that is what the old server was using. PHP Multibyte IS INSTALLED on PHP5.6 (and it also is on PHP5.4), I've already explained that it wasn't originally set up in 5.4 as that version of PHP wasn't initially available. 

[PHP Modules]
bcmath
calendar
Core
ctype
curl
date
dom
ereg
exif
fileinfo
filter
ftp
gd
gettext
hash
iconv
imagick
imap
ionCube Loader
json
libxml
mbstring
mcrypt
memcache
mhash
mysql
mysqli
mysqlnd
openssl
pcntl
pcre
PDO
pdo_mysql
pdo_sqlite
Phar
posix
readline
Reflection
session
SimpleXML
soap
sockets
SPL
sqlite3
standard
timezonedb
tokenizer
wddx
xml
xmlreader
xmlwriter
xsl
Zend Guard Loader
Zend OPcache
zip
zlib

[Zend Modules]
Zend Guard Loader
Zend OPcache
the ionCube PHP Loader

Would it be worth running the upgrade again?  It has worked since the upgrade & server move but thinking if there's a file with an error running an upgrade may overwrite it

17 minutes ago, MattW said:

Does the table storage engine matter? I've just checked, and the site having issues is using InnoDB for most of the tables, where the one that is working is using MyISAM for most of them. 

Interesting.  Although they have always been on the same server the site in question is not as old.

Edited by fettlebox

ok, so the errors you've provided from the error log are old and already resolved? What are the latest items from the error log after you've solved that issue.

Since PHP 5.4 was just a test, What version of PHP are you actually settling on?

delete/remove your error log, try and login again and then post the entire error log here.

Some steps to try:

1) Manually delete the cache on the server (sometimes works, but don't think it will in this case)

2) It could be your image cache rebuilding, in which case it will require several attempts to login before it will "just work". to test if this is the issue, rename your image directory, then add a new image directory with no images in it. Can you log in? (put it back after the test)

error log - that was my fault.  No further errors since moved back to php 5.6

6 minutes ago, Noodleman said:

2) It could be your image cache rebuilding, in which case it will require several attempts to login before it will "just work". to test if this is the issue, rename your image directory, then add a new image directory with no images in it. Can you log in? (put it back after the test)

No difference

in your initial post you said "it eventually times out with a http 500 error". can you attach a screen shot of the screen where you see that error?

If you have the ability, restart your database server service and web server service. If you have a hung query/thread this will free it. if you are getting a 500 error, I would expect to see this in your error logs. Check your web server error log as well as the PHP error log.

In theory, yes it could be litespeed. I've seen some sites perform badly when using fCGI, no reason to think it couldn't be a similar issue. Apache is the only officially supported web server:

https://www.cubecart.com/hosting-requirements

Edited by Noodleman

We've moved it to a different server, running Apache, and it was working initially........and it's stopped again, with the same error, where the admin page just times out. 

EDIT: It's randomly started working again. 

Edited by MattW