Hi, I'm new to Cubecart, but familiar with similar products. I have taken over a company that uses V5 and I'm going to update to the latest version. 

My plan is to copy the entire current site to a test server and do the update on that before doing on the live server. 

Mare there any guides / hints that anyone could point me to, so that I can make the process as painless as possible? 

Thanks

If using SSL, and the temporary site isn't turn it off before taking a backup and back on when done.

1) Backup the site files

2) Backup the site database

3) migrate to the new hosting area, upload files. create DB and restore your backup to it.

4) delete .htaccess file in the store root from the uploaded files

5) update the /includes/global.inc.php file with new DB connection details

6) login to site admin area, update store URL in store settings.

7) andddddddddddd your done, . :)

when you run setup, it will probably ask you to reset some permissions depending on how your hosting is setup.

You will also want to consider using a different skin after doing the upgrade to V6 - some of the V5 skins may appear to work but there are an increasing number of incompatible and missing features.

Also check what caching method is being used - file will be fine although under V6, you have extra options such as much faster REDIS or Memcached.

Finally, ensure that all non used plugin, languages, skins are deleted and that for any that are used, you upgrade to the latest version available from the marketplace

Ian

On 28/06/2017 at 11:15 AM, Noodleman said:

If using SSL, and the temporary site isn't turn it off before taking a backup and back on when done.

1) Backup the site files

2) Backup the site database

3) migrate to the new hosting area, upload files. create DB and restore your backup to it.

4) delete .htaccess file in the store root from the uploaded files

5) update the /includes/global.inc.php file with new DB connection details

6) login to site admin area, update store URL in store settings.

7) andddddddddddd your done, . :)

when you run setup, it will probably ask you to reset some permissions depending on how your hosting is setup.

Thanks for this, it's helpful. 

Do you do a dB restore from inside Cubecart, or vIa phpMyAdmin?

Ian,

thanks for the pointers. On skins, do you think it is worth creating a V6 site with a new skin in an offline copy and moving that, rather than debugging a V5 skin?

neil

5 hours ago, havenswift-hosting said:

I would always personally do it using phpMyAdmin but then I always do upgrades manually etc

Same here.

I always recommend compressing the database backup with 7-zip, winzip, etc. and then using phpMyAdmin's import tool to run it - it's very fast and can handle a LOT of data.

Just now, bsandall said:

Same here.

I always recommend compressing the database backup with 7-zip, winzip, etc. and then using phpMyAdmin's import tool to run it - it's very fast and can handle a LOT of data.

unless you are constrained by file size upload limits ;)

6 hours ago, Nelly111s said:

thanks for the pointers. On skins, do you think it is worth creating a V6 site with a new skin in an offline copy and moving that, rather than debugging a V5 skin?

I can find absolutely no reasons to ever continue with a V5 skin - they are not being maintained, are starting to have missing functionality but mostly they are not responsive which is a very poor customer experience which is why Google are penalising sites in several different way.  There are unfortunately only a small number of good V6 skins available but be very aware of those put up a long time ago and not maintained.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's what i did.

• Took backups of the website and database from the Admin Panel of Cubecart V5
  • Took backups of the website and database from the Control Panel of my website (using phpAdmin for the dB) of Cubecart V5
  • Got some free hosting with a MySQL dB.
  • Copied the website files to the new site
  • Restored the V5 dB using phpAdmin on the new site
  • Updated the /includes/global.inc.php file with new dB connection details
  • Tried to login to the Control Panel of Cubecart on the new site & couldn't
  • Change the version of php on the new site to 5.4 (it was set to 7)
  • Logged in!
  • Changed the URL inside Cubecart
  • Uploaded (overwrite) the V6 files over the V5 files.
  • Went in to setup (via site url/setup) and performed the upgrade to V6 (it went through all the later V5 versions and the early V6 versions)
  • Site is now running on V6 - this is still on a free hosted site and is effectively a sandbox.
  • The Foundation skin works, but needs work to alter to make it the right colour / logos etc. 
  • The old skin (a modified Kurouto skin) seems to work, even though it is not responsive.

Now I've got to modify the skin and update a load of product info before I "go live" with the real version!