back up timming out

foz1234

The back up files process is taking so much time to finish and respond it ends up giving a gateway error or internal error, The last one i did was around 900mb what could be causing this issue?

i wanted to do a back up on 6.1.7 so i could upgrade to 6.1.8 just in case i have upgrade issues.

thanks for any input

foz

I'd probably do all this via Cpanel as it would be far quicker. (less than 5 minutes)

Using file Cpanels file manager, create a new folder in the root of your space (outside of public_html), and copy the whole of public_html inside it.

It takes about 2 minutes. (depending on size of course)

Then using PHPMyadmin, create a copy of your database.

Using the copy function in PHPMyadmin append something like -copy to the end of it.

In the even of a catastrophic failure or major issues, a full roll back would take literally 5 minutes.

Assuming you have access to Cpanel or DA-Admin

Edited by keat

thanks for your fast reply Keat, i was planning on upgrading earlier this morning but will do it later tonight when site has less traffic now, but noticed this problem this morning, i will use cpanel as you described, so is this normal when a site reaches a certain size that it times out using the built in back up feature?

looking back in April this year site was only 420mb and i don't recall adding many more photos etc. but its doubled in size, in fact I've removed a couple of items/pages very odd i will try take a look whats going on i think and put off the upgrade for now

regards

i see now why the backup has grown, i host all my ebay picures pdf files etc etc and it backed up all the complete public_html excluding the cubecart backup folder, before i used to have a landing page and cubecart in a folder not the root.