API Creation

peterp

Hi All,

I have a client that would like to use a payment method that is provided by a company call AFTERPAY which I think will require and API to be created to do this. AfterPay has provided api code that they require so my question is there any where the api requirements that Cubecart needs so that I can write this API. Also instructions on how to write and API for cubecart would be very helpful. Afterpay is currently being used by other eCommerce sites such as Shopify, magneto and woocommerce.

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction as my client is really keen to use this payment process.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Peterp

Short answer: there is no documentation on how to write a module for CubeCart.

Would AfterPay be wanting to "control" CubeCart in some way? Doing something other than sending payment info and confirming the transaction was approved?

Hi Brian,

What AfterPay wants to do is to do something similar to what the standard PayPal does and that is just put the payment into the merchants account after that AfterPay will deal with the customer to get the money from them on a time payment type scenario which will have nothing to do with cubecart. As far as cubecart is concerned the payment has been made via payment to the merchants account similar to PayPal. That's my understanding of the process I have attached a couple of images that may explain the process more clearly.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,

Peterp

merchant-integration-sequence.png

afterpay checkout-merchant.png

Peter

It looks like a "standard" payment process - quotes are there because no two payment gateways are alike and take a reasonable amount of development and even more testing.  If you want to have a go yourself, the best suggestion is to take a look at the code for one of the free / well established gateways (the SagePay one is quite good but check a couple of others) to see the flow and adjust where necessary

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ms Holly

I haven't come up with anything as yet however I'm working on it and will let you know if I get an answer. Havenswift hosting have given me a quote for this that I may consider in the future. I will let you know How I get on

best Regards,

Peterp

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about terms/conditions for using it, but because AfterPay charge around 6% compared to 2.6 % for PayPal then I'd suggest setting a floor price where AftePay would be an option - eg. orders over $50 (or whatever your average sale would be + 6%)

Hi All,

I have done some further investigation on this issue and have found that an API cannot be written for the AfterPay plug in for that cube cart platform as AfterPay them selves will not issue anybody a user identification number or user secret phase. When question further about this as being rather short sighted based on the number of user of the Cube Cart product I was simply told that if there ever became a demand then they may address the problem. This has caused my client to start looking at other platforms that are supported by AfterPay which in my case I'm extremely unhappy about, what can be done I guess is not much however I will not be recommending AfterPay in the future especially after the in flexibility  to try and work with me.

Sounds like they want to control the development of gateway plugins for their system although any new customer signing up would get these details that could be then used for development and testing.  However, that type of attitude doesnt bode well for future support and is one simple example of why gateway development can be costly !  However, I would strongly recommend Stripe instead of pretty much any other gateway (and especially PayPal) as their service is considerably better, they are much cheaper and their system simply works unlike PayPal where our clients (and countless other users on this forum) constaqntly have issues which funnily enough are never a PayPal problem

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

@peterp You may like to check out ZipPay as an alternative to Afterpay.  They sent me a similar API document to the one you got from Afterpay, and again no identification number to begin actual coding and testing, but they seemed ready to move to the next step and the merchant fees seemed better than Afterpay.

• 4 months later...

Hi Mario,

Unfortunately there is still no movement in this area for either Afterpay or Zippay they still are not prepared to give any information as to what is required as Cubecart is not on their list of platforms and will let me know if there is any changes in future, so far no communication has occurred.

Best Regards,

Peterp

Hi Mario,

I haven't see this before I will try to test this out in a locally hosted environment and see whether this is enough to achieve our purposes. This will be a couple of weeks as I'm on holidays at the moment and do not have the facilities to do an intensive test.

I will contact you when I have had a test

Best Regards,

Peterp

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify this for the CubeCart gurus - ZipPay and AfterPay are the major pay-by-installment options for online stores in Australia.  The customer makes their purchase, ZipPay/Afterpay pay the shop (minus their commission) and then it's their responsibility to chase the customer for installments.  If you want to check them out, please do (you're looking for the .com.au address).

ZipPay and AfterPay are becomming increasingly popular in web stores across Australia with plugins available for Big Commerce, Neto, Magento and Shopify (ZipPay also supports Woo Commerce, Presta Shop, OpenCart, OS Commerce and ZenCart).

CubeCart really needs to offer a pay-by-installment gateway or shop owners will be considering options other than CubeCart.  Any developer who makes this an option will do well, I think.

I see that there is a CubeCart plugin (beta) for Oxipay which seems to be the only pay-by-installment option for Australian CubeCart stores right now.

• 4 months later...

I have been asked about AfterPay a few times (I am in Australia). Often, by the time my customers need my products, they are fairly spent and can't afford all they need/want to get. Would it be possible to add for example a 4% surcharge for AfterPay, thus balancing the higher fee charged by AfterPay (vs PayPal)?  

If / when an AfterPay payment gateway is written then it would be possible to add an admin option to add a percentage to any fee charged.  You would need to check that this isnt against their Terms and Conditions (for example it is with PayPal and some others) and while not especially relevant to you (your customers would only be Australia or possible New Zealand) this is now illegal in all EU countries

• 1 year later...

Archived