Fraudulent Purchases

svrabel

I just discovered a large fraudulent purchase on our storefront. I'm not sure what happened, but I have shifted to catalog mode until I figure out how to prevent it from happening again.

There was no matching transaction listed on Paypal so I don't know if this is a Cubecart or Paypal issue. I've took screenshots and downloaded the database before deleting the orders.

Any suggestions/insight would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 7.48.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 7.47.55 AM.png

PayPal was acting up last week, maybe it is again today.

Transactions were taking up to two hours to show up in the PayPal web page. If you can, then switch to the old classic view, as I found the transactions would display in there, but not in the new look.

We sell digital products. Since the order was marked as complete, most of the files had been downloaded before I deleted the order.

The transaction ID does not show in PayPal (normal or classic view). I've contacted their fraud department to see if they can help out as well.

Nope. Didn't realize I needed to be tracking those too. I've been good about keeping the cart updated, but the Paypal plugin is out of date. I'll be updating that today.

Thanks for your help, Al.

Edited by svrabel

Just had another transaction where the same thing happened. I am using version 1.0.7 of the Paypal Plugin and it is still not preventing completion of the order.

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 1.57.36 PM.png

Below is what the request log shows:

Request Sent - https://ipnpb.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscrcmd=_notify-validate&mc_gross=0.01&invoice=170723-130736-5323&protection_eligibility=Eligible&address_status=confirmed&payer_id=RMFHBMZXFSNHQ&address_street=erf&payment_date=10%3A09%3A22+Jul+23%2C+2017+PDT&payment_status=Completed&charset=windows-1252&address_zip=32330&first_name=Jhonny&mc_fee=0.01&address_country_code=UY&address_name=John+M&notify_version=3.8&custom=&payer_status=unverified&business=lily.applique%40mail.ru&address_country=Uruguay&address_city=151wd&quantity=1&verify_sign=AFFIASYBPB4TY3B2VIHX1thDFvcyANfGB0uNZJf3WKcEINPMkUd-zCns&payer_email=jhonny_rodriguez%40mail.ru&txn_id=99P76154UK278912X&payment_type=instant&last_name=Rodriguez&address_state=wdd&receiver_email=lily.applique%40mail.ru&payment_fee=0.01&receiver_id=J9P9PC7CZ346W&txn_type=web_accept&item_name=Order+170723-130736-5323&mc_currency=USD&item_number=170723-130736-5323&residence_country=JO&transaction_subject=&payment_gross=0.01&ipn_track_id=4c435fb85b2fc
Response receivedVERIFIED

This happened twice using two different versions of the Paypal Plugin. The second time the plugin detected that there was a grand total mismatch, but CubeCart still completed the transaction, allowing the individual to download everything they had placed in their cart.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the code to even start looking.