Upgrade question

Hi All,

I have a client that is currently running ver 6.0.8 and wants to upgrade to the latest version which I believe is ver 6.1.8 I know this is possible however I read somewhere that all upgrades cannot be done automatically anymore and that a manual upgrade should be done. If this is true could you please explain what is meant by a manual upgrade, does this mean that I would have to upgrade each version from 6.0.8 to 6.1.8 separately one at a time.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,

Peterp

A manual upgrade will involve getting the latest version, unzipping it locally, FTPing the package to the site, while instructing the FTP program to overwrite any existing file (your hosting control panel may be able to streamline this - unzipping on-site).

Then, run /setup/index.php. This will update the database and attempt to rename the script admin.php and the folder /admin/ to an obfuscated variant.

Hi Brian,

Thank for the reply there just one other question is it safe to use the automatic upgrade facility in the maintenance selection on the admin page.

Best Regards,

Peterp

The 'automatic' upgrade feature (where CubeCart manages the backup, downloads the most recent package, unzips, and then runs setup) has had issues in past versions: the location of the downloadable source package changed, large stores would timeout when making the backup, incomplete unzipping, and other things.

You can certainly try to have CubeCart do this, but do not have high expectations.

15 hours ago, bsmither said:

You can certainly try to have CubeCart do this, but do not have high expectations.

I would very strongly advise to not use the automatic admin upgrade option until you are on 6.1.8 (we believe it is fixed once at that version although Al, Alec and myself etc ALWAYS do manual upgrades as you have so much more control) as you will certainly have problems.  A good number of the other "issues" reported on here by other users over the last three to four months have been caused by incorrectly upgraded sites !

Ian