Download links lost when order is reassigned

lyndsiesal

I sell digital downloads and I often have customers who register with a typo in their email and never receive order emails and are unable to login, etc...

They usually end up setting up a new account with the correct information and then contacting us when they don't see any order history.

I can then go in and reassign the order to the correct customer, save it, and it will show up in their order history but none of the download links transfer. Everything else is retained.

Im not sure if there's a way to correct this or even better, to have customers double verify the email address field when creating an account. 

Edited by lyndsiesal

What does a download link actually look like when in the list of downloads in the customer's Downloads account page? ('x'-out the accesskey).

When clicking a download link, what actually happens? The browser does not make a new page request? A new page request is made, but what comes back?

In the database table CubeCart_downloads, there is a 'customer_id' column, but this is not used when validating the request for a digital product download.

Sorry about that. So this is normal?  I know CubeCart gives us the ability to assign an order to a different account but I'm not sure how to accomplish that with my orders since they all contain download links.  Its frustrating that I seem to be getting more and more customers mistyping their email addresses when they register their account. Hmmm

Yes, you will need to manually change the customer_id in the table CubeCart_downloads from the previous value to the new customer_id.

Or, you can edit the email address of that customer in the admin Customer List, Edit Customer, General tab. The problem here is that the customer will already have an account with the correct email address and CubeCart will not allow a duplicate. You will need to note the correct email address on the newer account, delete that account, then fix the prior account.

What I've been doing is reassigning all orders placed under the incorrect email address to the correct email address and then deleting the incorrect account, only because sometimes the customer will have an existing correct account but manage to type their email incorrectly and set up a new account during checkout.

I hope hope hope that a future update will include an email verification when registering accounts. I get a good number of ".con", "yahoo", "gmai", more than usual lately.