Documents - renaming the url doesn't work

gpzzone

It may be my system, but I think it's a bug so I'm asking the more learned folk here for their opinion.

If I create a new document with a long page title - in my case it's " GPZ 1000RX model identification"  but want a simpler url,  let's say simply  "1000RX"  Cubecart seems to ignore my preferred url and automatically defaults to the page title as the url. Any attempt to change the url after the initial creation of the page are futile.

As a work around I'm having to entitle the page with whatever I want the url to be  and then save the page at the point of creation, this secures the shorter url. I then revisit the document and edit the main page title to what I want it to read

It appears that the custom url field isn't working.

Or is it my system - CC 6.18. I am very new to CC so please be gentle with me!

I thought that  too, so I tried umpteen combinations including no numbers, all lower case etc, but every time the unique url field appeared to be ineffective.  Using a single word page title and url creates no problems, but specifying a url that differs from the page title prior to saving the page doesn't work as it defaults to the page title. Similarly any attempt to amend the url once the page (and default url) have been created is fruitless.

It's not the end of the world as I said I now use the workaround whereby I create the page using the desired url and then return  to amend the page title later.

Thanks for the support.

I certainly would want to work with you on this, as this behavior is unacceptable.

As a test, create a new category, and on the Search Engines tab, enter a desired SEO URL. Save. But do not reload that category just yet. Instead, hover the mouse over the "edit" icon and observe the URL that the browser will use to fetch the page if clicked on. Note the 'cat_id' value.

Then, using an external database utulity, such as phpMyAdmin, look in the table CubeCart_seo_urls. Scroll to the last record in the table. It should be a 'cat' type and an 'item_id' of what was noted earlier.

Does the 'path' reflect what was entered for the SEO URL on the Search Engines tab earlier?

OK so I have some more data -

For clarity this issue is around Documents and not categories.

So if I create a page called "this is a test" and rename the url to test.html -then save. (see attached)

The SEO url is automatically generated as this-is-a-test.html.

The SQL database is recording the url as test.html. (see attached)

The browser will return a 404 error  if you attempt to access test.html, whereas it is succesful if you use the automatically generated SEO url of this-is-a-test.html.

Skin is Mican and the cat_id (when hovering over edit) is 41.

So to summarise - the process of creating a document creates a navbar link based upon whatever the url is that you specify (in my case test.html) but the only way to access the page is to use the automatically generated SEO url. (yhis-is-a-test.html)

I hope that helps

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Edited by gpzzone

This helps.

It shows there is a misunderstanding between the purpose of the text entry field for "URL" on the General tab, and the text entry field for "Custom SEO URL Path" on the Search Engines tab.

The URL on the General tab is to tell CubeCart that is an actual, factual web page called test.html is located at the main folder of your store. CubeCart will use this actual URL as the link seen in the browser, in the site's list of Site Documents. Therefore, using URL will require there to be a web page at that location - which can be anywhere because you can enter any valid web address. As such, the contents you enter for this document does not matter as the link points somewhere else.

The Custom SEO URL Path on the Search Engines tab is what you are actually wanting. Here, enter just test. CubeCart will construct the proper and correctly formatted URL (ending in .html, for example) as seen in the browser, in the list of Site Documents.

Edited by bsmither