Tutorial on how to use product options ??

djcaseanova

Is there a tutorial on how to use product options somewhere?

I am in the process of starting a new site and need to know how to get these product options to work. The terminology is confusing me. Here's an example of what I want to do.

I have a product, say green raw coffee beans as the base product with a base price. I want them to be able to choose if they want them roasted for an additional cost. How do I get that to work? For whatever reason, I am unable to get it figured out so I am starting it over again. Some items may have multiple options needed, but not all products/options will be the same per item.

Pretty easy.

go to Product Options and create a new group, call it Roast Type

Then also in product options, go to attributes and create a new style of roast - call it light roast, assign it to Roast Type with the drop down.

Click the little green plus icon and then create your next style (medium), again, click the plus,  create another (Heavy), or what ever styles roasts come as.

Click save

Create your base item - coffeee beans.

When coffee beans has been created, you can assign any number of the above attributes to the product, and assign either a final price or an additional price.

eg, Beans are £5.00

Light roast can then be either an additional $0.50 or a full total of $5.50 depending on which tick box you use.

Medium roast  then be either an additional $0.70 or a full total of $5.70

Heavy roast can  be either an additional $1.00 or a full total of $6.00

If you then wanted to do something similar with size of beans, you could create a new attribute called size.

see my example below of a product with multiple options.

Note how my 1000 and 10000 options are absolute price. This is the final price, and not an additional price.

choices.jpg

Edited by keat
  • Like 1

Hi there,

I have just been using the product options, the results are a little strange and quite confusing for my customers.

Example:

I have set up a product which is a bolt.
The bolt comes in about 20 sizes.
So i have used product options and created one called "bolt size".
Then i create my bolt product and proceed to add the bolt sizes in a drop down menu.
The problem comes when you view the item on the website, there is no primary price until you open the product.
If the customer clicks buy now from the front screen it just adds a product description at a price of £0.00 to the basket?

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thank You :)

Im not sure what you mean?

I have setup the options with prices for different sizes.
But if the product shows no price in search results and when you click buy now it adds a £0.00 priced product to the basket.
Its almost like there should be something that stops the price from showing until the product is open

Do i set the primary price at the lowest price bolt? Is that the idea?
Or do i set a primary price then add an amount onto the next sizes to make up the correct price?

Im very confused!

CubeCart allows you to do either: set a price differential from the base product price, or set an absolute price regardless of the base product price.

When the options were initially created - in admin, Product Options - where the "Bolt Size" option name was created, it is here that you click a box that says this option is required (regardless of what product it has been assigned to).

Hi FixingsFactory

Does your base product "bolt", have a price configured.

Find your cheapest bolt, lets say 10mm x 20mm at a selling price of 10p

So your bolt base price would be 10p, with the 20mm option as nil.

Then each length option would increase incrementally.

30mm could be a fixed price of 15p or an additional 5p.

40mm could be a fixed price of 20p or an additional 10p.

etc etc

Provided you have the options in the correct order, when a customer chooses the "Buy It Now" option from the front page, he'd be buying a 10mm x 20mm for 10p.

Incidentally, both HavenSwift and Semperfi have a plugin available that allows the drop down options to appear on the home page.

On 9/1/2017 at 7:17 AM, keat said:

Pretty easy.

go to Product Options and create a new group, call it Roast Type

Then also in product options, go to attributes and create a new style of roast - call it light roast, assign it to Roast Type with the drop down.

Click the little green plus icon and then create your next style (medium), again, click the plus,  create another (Heavy), or what ever styles roasts come as.

Click save

Create your base item - coffeee beans.

When coffee beans has been created, you can assign any number of the above attributes to the product, and assign either a final price or an additional price.

I got this part working. And for the most part it works great. However, can you explain Option Sets? What exactly is an Option set vs. Option Group? I want to be able to assign all the same options to multiple products. When I go to "products" I see there is an "assign option sets".... but I have only created a group apparently?

• 3 years later...

On the product's Options tab, the table of options has an Options Matrix column. For each option (combination) you wish to track distinct stock levels, check the box.

Then click Save & Reload.

When the page comes back, there will be an Options Matrix table. Set your stock levels here (as well as other distinctive parameters).

Actually having made a purchase?

Or "seeming" able to buy because the option (or option combination) is presented to the customer?

CubeCart is not coded to dynamically update the remaining options if one chosen option means certain combinations are out of stock.

In admin, Store Settings, Stock tab, is "Allow out-of-stock purchases" enabled?

10 hours ago, bsmither said:

CubeCart is not coded to dynamically update the remaining options if one chosen option means certain combinations are out of stock.

If you want to be able to do that, then look at @Noodleman plugin  https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/absolute-matrix-option-prices-price-list-hide-out-of-stock-matrix-options

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 3:52 PM, bsmither said:

Actually having made a purchase?

Or "seeming" able to buy because the option (or option combination) is presented to the customer?

In admin, Store Settings, Stock tab, is "Allow out-of-stock purchases" enabled?

No, not having made a purchase. I was testing it out in cart and for the options that were not in stock, I was still able to add to cart.

and I do not have “Allow out-of-stock purchases” enabled.

I guess I will just have to modify my options to 1 set of options and delete those that aren’t in stock, I currently have 2 sets of options colour and size for this particular product, so perhaps I should just combine the 2 option sets together and just have one option set.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:00 AM, havenswift-hosting said:

And thanks havenswift, but maybe I will take a look at it another time when I get a bit more cashflow. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I selected Thick Cognac Brown at 7.5", clicking Add to Basket did get me a banner saying the product option is out of stock.

Can you give a specific option combo for the product mentioned above that causes you concern?

Edited by bsmither