Unable to save changes in admin control panel

Big Gee

Hello fellow travellers!

I've used CC in the past - no problems. I have just downloaded & installed v6 to set-up a web store for one of my sons. Installation went fine, and to start with I was able to begin setting up the cart in 'admin'. Somewhere along the line something has gone very wrong! I am now unable to save changes in certain areas of the cart, more specifically, the 'Store Settings'.

The 'save' button at the very foot, on the left hand side of the page (is that where it's supposed to be?), does not seem to function. Some other changes can be saved but not in store settings. It seems that this problem arose after I took the store 'off-line'. Now I can't seem to be able to save the changes for it to come back on-line. I edited a custom 'store closed' page which worked the first time, but now I'm stuck with it as I can't save any changes I make! The only other thing I've done is installed two extension 'skins' (Nota & Vanilla) they show up in the 'manage extensions' section of the control panel, but with a 'x' by them. There's a tick by the 'foundation skin'. In the hope that it might have been the installing of the extensions I've now deleted them both off the server - but no joy.

The other thing I get is a warning when I first log into the control panel telling me that caching is disabled. Here's a screenshot:

59d3d38989c98_Screenshot-Admin_ControlPanel_warning_message.png.da179a001114262530a875701be80eb3.png

However I can't change that either because I am unable to save changes. Here's another 'shot' showing what the tech details are - it seems that the server set-up and PHP version etc. are well within what's needed for v6.

59d3d3188a117_Screenshot-AdminControlPanel_Store_Overview.png.7540077087b24c771ae6f099332f2090.png

Unless someone in this forum can throw light on the problem by replying to this post, then I am quite prepared to PM details of a temp admin log-in so that you can have a look yourself. The site is at http://welshgolds.co.uk/shop .

Thanks in advance,

Gwilym.

Edited by Big Gee

When you say the Save at the bottom of the Store Settings seems to have no effect, are you saying that the Save button appears to be dead, as in the page does not submit, or that the page does submit, but the data returned is the same (and there is no banner saying the settings were saved)?

If the first, it may be a case where the CSS and/or javascript no longer matches the CC6110 version - that is, if having upgraded from an earlier version, the web browser is still using copies of that earlier version from the browser's internal cache. If so, force the browser to re-fetch fresh copies of the page's resources. This is usually done with CTRL-F5.

Thanks 'bsmither'.

Simply put - the 'save' button is dead! It looks dead and is dead. No data is submitted. In other areas where it is possible to save changes then you can see activity as the information is uploaded after clicking the save button In the store settings area it is not functioning.

Browser cache refreshing is not an issue.

Regards,

G.

That suggests to me that there is some (otherwise invisible) part of the web page that is laying on top of the submit button.

A visible effect of this is when the mouse cursor hovers over the Save button, the button is suppose to take on a slightly different shading effect. Confirm this change in appearance on a page where the submit button does POST the form data.

Now, if the appearance of the Submit button does actually change, then this might not be the problem.

Another possibility is that the javascript for this page has crashed. Determining if that has happened may be tricky.

The submit (labelled 'Save') button does not change in shading but a faint outline line is visible when it is hovered over. However this is exactly the same when a 'Save' submit button is hovered over on a section that works. Here are some screen shots again:

1. Store settings 'Save' button (notice where it is located - well away from the form and tucked in the bottom left hand corner) normal view:

ScrShot-example_storesettings_save_button.png.6658461ef8398ee6bb0b523e1c554249.png

2. Store settings 'Save' button when hovered over:

ScrShot-example_storesettings_save_button_on_hover.png.e250c96c8d800a0397c587aa75b626ef.png

3. Screenshot of a section where the 'Save' button works:

ScrShot-example_categories_save_button.png.b980c270946e385544cf52681d8256f3.png

4. Same scenario when 'Save' button is hovered over:

ScrShot-example_categories_save_button_on_hover.png.c1385cccc574a2869d8cffc05f8ed46c.png

From your comments, I would opt for the possibility of the JS having crashing on this page. Although the button for the store settings is in a strange place and appears to be under the footer tray area of the page.

As it is only just installed, with no categories or products loaded and a minimal amount of customising, I'm tempted to just start from scratch. I'm fairly convinced that if a Java Script has broken, then it may be when I attempted to install a theme. The problem seems to have coincided with that task. What do you think? I could spend a lot more time chasing my tail with a malfunction than the time it will take for a fresh install.

G.

The Save button is definitely in the wrong place.

That tells me there is a rogue </div> tag somewhere in the admin skin templates. Or "possibly" the contents of the Offline Message or Copyright content has something that is confusing the browser in how to render the HTML.

You can certainly re-upload the admin skin, then manually delete all files in the /cache/skins/ directory.

A storefront skin (theme) cannot affect the admin skin, or v.v.

Thank you my friend. That seals it then - I'll delete the whole of the original installation tomorrow & start afresh with a new upload :(

I think that would be a preferred option to reloading the admin skin and then possibly finding it doesn't solve the problem after the effort.

It would be nice to know what caused the problem though, but some things you have to let through the net and put it down to an unsolved mystery experience. Here's hoping it doesn't rear it's head again.

Take care, all the best,

G.

If you're really keen to know, I'll set-up a temp admin profile for you. Quickly end me an e-mail to gwilym1'at'sccambria.com and I'll reply with the details. As you're on the Pacific Coast and I'm quite a few hours ahead of you in Wales, you'll have time to fiddle whilst I'm asleep! It's already past my bed-time.

G.