Gift Cards - not perfect

sailing123

Hi

I have never used the gift card function in any Cubecart version including V6. I have been looking at it recently but I have a few questions I hope some of you who are already using it will be able to help.

I clicked digital only.

My observations were as follows:

1. The usual "Your basket box" does not jump at you on the right hand corner as it does with any other products added to basket.

2. Although I clicked digital only, during checkout, the option of entering a delivery address different from billing is still working.

3. When the admin received our usual pending order email, there was no record of the gift card recipient email, name nor message. Only the data of the purchaser with again the delivery address for a digital product !

Questions:

1. If the gift card value partially used towards a purchase, is the outstanding balance still valid with the same code reference ? If so, does the system tells the recipient of it remaining balance after a purchase ?

2. When the recipient uses her/his gift card, can the value be redeemed to pay for shipping cost as well as products ?

Many thanks

S.

Edited by sailing123

Did further digging on this. I changed a test order from pending to processing, noticed it goes straight to dispatched & complete, probably because it is digital only.

However, there are few more issues.

1. You cannot amend the original order especially the recipient email address nor the message. In the event, the buyer has made a mistake especially with the  recipient email address and request to amend his order, we will not be able to do so.

2. Also the buyer's email order confirmation does not include either the recipient name, email and message, and therefore it does not show either when the buyer goes to check his order on the front end website.

3. We process a fair amount of orders over the phone especially with elderly customers. I could not find anywhere how I could do that with gift cards as it is not treated as a product. Unless I missed something here ?

As it stands I cannot see us using this function.

Thanks for your feedback.

S.

1 hour ago, sailing123 said:

Hi

I have never used the gift card function in any Cubecart version including V6. I have been looking at it recently but I have a few questions I hope some of you who are already using it will be able to help.

I clicked digital only.

My observations were as follows:

1. The usual "Your basket box" does not jump at you on the right hand corner as it does with any other products added to basket.

2. Although I clicked digital only, during checkout, the option of entering a delivery address different from billing is still working.

3. When the admin received our usual pending order email, there was no record of the gift card recipient email, name nor message. Only the data of the purchaser with again the delivery address for a digital product !

Questions:

1. If the gift card value partially used towards a purchase, is the outstanding balance still valid with the same code reference ? If so, does the system tells the recipient of it remaining balance after a purchase ?

2. When the recipient uses her/his gift card, can the value be redeemed to pay for shipping cost as well as products ?

Many thanks

S.

Hi Sandrine,

1. That might be a bug. 

2. CubeCart always ask for a delivery address regardless if the order is digital or not. Something for a future release maybe. 

3. This should be available since 6.1.11. https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1748

Questions:
1. "is the outstanding balance still valid with the same code reference" yes. It is still available. I'm not sure it tells them but it is. 

2. "When the recipient uses her/his gift card, can the value be redeemed to pay for shipping cost as well as products ?". Yes it comes off the net of the total basket. 

Thanks Al for your prompt reply.

Excellent news regarding the option of amending recipient details. Is this information also added to the buyer email order confirmation ?

2 good reasons for asking:

1. the buyer can review his/her order and contact us asap if they made a mistake with the recipient's email address.

2. This will cover us, the merchant, from any possible claims, ie non-receipt for whatever reasons. We can then refer to their confirmation email that the fault was with the buyer and not the merchant. People are very quick at processing orders nowadays not paying attention and then blaming the merchant for the mistake they made. We have seen a few .....

Regarding my phone orders, I think I will implement what this merchant did with the thread below, ie creating a product as a phone order gift certificate

Thanks again.