How to make a confirmation box

Beagle Bytes

Hallo,

To comply with  UK online and distance selling regulations, how do I make a tick box at the point of sale which collects the customer's consent to waiver right of refund ?

Here are the regulations :

Downloads and streaming services

If you supply downloads or streaming services, you must:

• get the customer to confirm before they download or stream content that they are aware they’ll lose their 14 day right to cancel
  • get the customer to agree to an instant download before they start the download
  • include this information in your confirmation of the contract, along with the other pre-contract information

If you don’t follow these rules, the customer will keep their 14 day right to cancel without paying.

customer to confirm before they download or stream content that they are aware they’ll lose their 14 day right to cancel

from https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses/online-selling

Thanks in advance,

Beagle Bytes

Welcome Beagle Bytes! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

Do the regulations say there must be a "specific" notice - visible and uniquely selectable at each and every sale?

Or do you think that CubeCart's ability to require an unregistered customer to read the "Terms and Conditions" document in order to progress through the checkout process, or to read the "Terms and Conditions" document in order to complete the registration process, would suffice?

Currently, the checkbox says "I agree to the Terms and Conditions," which is a link to that document. But if the regulations say that the checkbox must say something specific about waiving a right, we can change the phrase to include "and Waive Certain of My Rights."

The Terms and Conditions document would have all that verbiage.

1 hour ago, bsmither said:

Welcome Beagle Bytes! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

Do the regulations say there must be a "specific" notice - visible and uniquely selectable at each and every sale?

Or do you think that CubeCart's ability to require an unregistered customer to read the "Terms and Conditions" document in order to progress through the checkout process, or to read the "Terms and Conditions" document in order to complete the registration process, would suffice?

Currently, the checkbox says "I agree to the Terms and Conditions," which is a link to that document. But if the regulations say that the checkbox must say something specific about waiving a right, we can change the phrase to include "and Waive Certain of My Rights."

The Terms and Conditions document would have all that verbiage.

Thanks bsmither - it isn't specified, so I like what you are suggesting! :)

Am I right in thinking that if  "Disable terms & conditions checkbox on checkout" is left unchecked, the T&C box will automatically be shown ?

Edited by Beagle Bytes

Yes. The checkbox should appear when registering, but otherwise, at checkout.

This depends on the skin being used. I am not aware of any skin that does not have the code to show this.

In admin, Documents, the list o documents will have a column of radio buttons to indicate which document is to b used as the T&C document. There must be one selected.

In admin>languages section click on the edit button for English (UK). From the Phrase Group drop down select "Account - Phrases within the customers account" and find the entries for register_terms_agree and register_terms_agree_link then edit as appropriate and save. It may also be worth adding a section to your product page with a Small Print section as Argos do for some of their products spelling out exactly what you need the customer to know, example can be seen here http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6216070.