Out of stock message with add to basket option

KevS

At the moment I can either have a product displaying as out of stock with no option to add it to the cart, or I can have an out of stock item which can be added to the cart with no warning that it is out of stock.  What I really need is an option where if an item is out of stock it can still be added to the cart but with a message saying the item is sold but we can make a similar one.

Its essentially the same problem as this archieved topic:

https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/46726-resolved-show-out-of-stock-message/

I've tried adding the code in that topic to the content.product.php file and changing the {$LANG.catalogue.out_of_stock_short}" with "Awaiting Stock" but it doesn't work.  I'm not sure where the code should be added though and have probably put it in the wrong place.

I would appreciate any help as to what I might have done wrong.

Thanks.

Just had a look at the video and I can see how I could allow a preorder, but in my case i wouldn't have a definite release date, it would be say two weeks from the date of the order.  Could I just set the release date way into the future and set the preorder description to something like  'this item has now been sold but we can make something similar in a couple of weeks' ?

Indeed you can... set the pre-order date sometime way into the future but the date on which the product is available for purcahse in the past.

I am adding the ability to define leadtimes on products in the next update, so you can configure somehting like "20 days from date of purcahase", the dates would then get calculated and displayed to the customer.