Google search console

DesignerPets

Hi,

can anyone help with google search console setup? 

i have used the HTML tag option, placed in homepage document, but google can’t find it? Keeps reporting back that it isn’t in the header?

i have tried entering <head> to open, inserting code and closing with <\head> , but after I save and look at the document again, the head part is removed and left with the google code.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

(using cc 4.3.8)

Hi

thsnks for quick reply.  I’m helping a friend out, so only have access to cc admin.  Do I need to request FTP details to access the skins document? If so, is this something the host will give me?

I did manage to enter Google Analytics code into the homepage document, and this appears to work.  Does the google console code work differently?

thanks again

Yes, you will need FTP details and the host shouldnt give these details to you unless your friend has already told them about you - that would be a massive security issue.

I am surprised that entering the Google Analytics code into the homepage works but even if it does it definitely isnt the correct place as you are only measuring people hitting the homepage. V4 is so old I cant remember but isnt there somewhere to enter the GA- code without having to add the whole code ?  Probably in Store Settings.

Ian

Hi

ive asked my friend to request the FTP details so I can access the skins template.

you are correct on the Google Analytics code, I had also entered it under store settings.  So this is probably why it works lol

As they are running such an old version of cc, would it be simple enough for me to upgrade? I did download the latest version and had a look under localhost on my Mac.  Or would it be too big a jump to go from 4 to 6? I.e. the folder names, database etc paths might not matchup anymore?  Should I upgrade to say 5 first?

sorry for all the questions, thanks again

Simple enough, yes. There is a knowledgebase article on how it is to be done. The upgrade process will convert the database for you. There is no need to upgrade to any intermediary version.

If the knowledgebase article doesn't mention it, expect to have a store that looks entirely different - no CC4 skins will work on CC6, and a larger feature set - but no mods applied to CC4 will work on CC6.