That email address is already being used.

smokemup

An order is placed and a guest checkout used (didn't request to create an account). They return in a month to buy again as a guest checkout and get the message "That email address is already being used."

I read that this was resolved in version 6, but I have the latest 6.1.13 and the problems persists. Is there a fix? Tnx.

Welcome smokemup! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

I can't see how it could.

CubeCart does not know that this visitor is the same as the one a month ago.

I suppose the easiest solution would be the customer actually creates an account - if the email could be used.

I will poke around the Github to see if this has been brought up.

Edited by bsmither

Tnx havenswift-hosting. That worked.

cubecart.class.php
Line 1034

Replaced:

// Check email is not in use
if ($GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_customer', array('email'), array('email' => $_POST['user']['email'], 'type' => 1))) {
// Email in use
$errors['email'] = true;
$error_messages[] = $GLOBALS['language']->account['error_email_in_use'];
}

With:

// Check email is not in use
if ($GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_customer', array('email'), array('email' => $_POST['user']['email'], 'type' => 1))) {
if ($GLOBALS['config']->get('config', 'disable_guest_checkout_if_previously_registred')) {        
// Email in use
$errors['email'] = true;
$error_messages[] = $GLOBALS['language']->account['error_email_in_use'];
}
}

Hi,

I am on 6.1.10 and I am very much interested in giving the option to registered customer to return ordering as a guest.

I have applied the changes suggested and it does not work. Tried 3 times on different browsers also just in case.

However, customers who are unregistered have no problem to reorder as unregistered customers. I do not experience the problem smokeup is reporting here.  I have tested it again and it was all fine.

I know that we lose orders as a result as customers have picked up the phone instead. They forgot their passwords, not very tech savvy to click on "forgot password" and so if they do not phone or email, it is a lost sales....

Am I doing something wrong or the code needs amendments ?

S

There may be something missing from the above as:
$GLOBALS['config']->get('config', 'disable_guest_checkout_if_previously_registred')
is not a standard CubeCart configuration setting.

But, since this setting does not exist and checking for it will always return false, then the error will never be triggered.

However, it should be noted that the database table CubeCart_customer has a UNIQUE key on the 'email' column. Even ghost customers get some of their details recorded here.

So, in what way do the above changes "not work", and why make these changes if your unregistered customers are able to reorder as a still-unregistered customer?

Hi Bsmither,

I did not explain properly.

I have no issues with the case of unregistered customers being able to re-order as unregistered customers/guest.

I have issues with registered customers who return to the website to order and cannot order as a guest/unregistered customer.

The code given in the feature request "under consideration" is titled exactly that: "Allow previously registered customer to checkout as guest". From smokeup's post I got under the impression that by implementing the code provided it worked for him.

Yes, it worked for me. I setup a fake account and placed an order and all was fine. Then that username/email was in the system, so I logged out, cleared cache, and this time did not log in. I placed the same order again, filled out the billing/shipping info and did not received any error messages that the email was already in use, which is what was happening before I made the changes.

If I try to create a new account using the existing password I will get the password in use error message. I seems to be working as it should. :newyear:

I will need to ask Al under my technical plan if he is not too busy. Bsmither was also helping out with another query, he suggested a quick & straight forward fix, working well for him, and again, impossible with me. Very very odd.

It might be that I am still on 6.1.10 but I doubt. Thanks anyway. :-)