Emails to Registered customers

peterp

Hi All,

Happy New Year to everybody, I hope it has been enjoyable.

I'm not sure whether there is a extension for this or whether the standard installation can do this, what I require is that when a product is put on promotion then all registered customers receive an email showing the product and sale price. Obviously it would have to be that only at the end of making products on sale/promotion then the email would be sent to all customers detailing all the products and not every time a product is made a special otherwise the registered customers might get many singular emails which would be annoying to the customer.

Any help with this request will be greatly appreaciated

Hi Noodleman,

I agree with you and I had found this however this will only send an email to the registered customers who have said they want a newsletter. If I have this wrong then please correct me. If this is correct then maybe we would have to make a registered customer to automatically receive the newsletter until they unsubscribe for the newsletter.

Thankyou for your response

Best Regards,

Peterp

Correct, because it's not a good idea to email customers who have specifically opted out of receiving marketing material :)

Customers can control their enrolement via their user control panel, and cusomters are offered the option to opt in/out upon account registration.

Thanks Noodleman for your reply,

Unfortunately I have a couple of problems that I seem to have firstly where does the customer decide whether they want plain text or html, secondly if we don't know this wouldn't we have to create the newsletter/promotion/special price notification in both HTML as well as Plain text. At he moment I don't seem to be able to get anything to come through the email except for the company logo and then the bottom of the email saying thankyou/regards there is no detail what am I doing wrong.

Best Regards,

Peterp

CubeCart uses PHPMailer, which has the ability to send both Plain Text and HTML in the same email. In fact (if I recall correctly), if you don't have something in both the Plain Text and HTML parts, the email will not get sent correctly.

To cheat around this, simply put "Please read the HTML part of this email. If your email reader cannot show the HTML part, get a better email program." (I have actually seen this!!!)

When you get just the email outer structure (admin, Email Templates, Email Templates tab, click edit icon for Default Newsletter template, HTML Content tab and Plain Text tab), then there may be missing the {$EMAIL_CONTENT} placeholder. (The HTML Content editor will show a cut-corner square with blue <>. Hovering the mouse cursor over this will show a tool-tip having {$EMAIL_CONTENT}.) (Also, the checkboxes are misleading. Only one checkbox can be checked for standard emails. For newsletters, in admin, Newsletters, click the edit icon for a newsletter, General tab, select the outer-structure "Template" to use - maybe 'Default Newsletter'.)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response, $EMAIL_CONTENT placeholder is in both the plain text and the HTML. I did manage to get the HTML newsletter to work but so far I have not been able to get the plain text email to work. Not sure whether this is an outlook problem or something that I'm not doing. I will keep on testing to try and get them both to work. FYI you were right the both HTML content and plain text had to be entered to get the HTML to work.

regards,

Peterp

I will say that both the HTML content and Plain Text content are present in each email (assuming nothing goes wrong). The placeholder is {$EMAIL_CONTENT}. Do not forget the braces.

Some email readers (clients) are very reluctant to show the plain text content, even if it is the only content present in the email. Outlook is probably not one of those "HTML or nothing" clients. But finding the menu option to "Show Source" is well hidden. Showing source shows the headers, plain text content and HTML content, and for these clients, is the only way to verify that the plain text content even exists because if there is HTML, that is what will be shown.