Renaming main (root) folder

Bryan_TAO

Hi folks .... I started putting together a Webstore in a folder called /Cubecart and hadn't realised just how much valid work I had done on behalf of my client before wanting to change the root folder name. I have taken a copy of this folder and then uploaded again as /theclientsname and everything seems to work just fine .... the cart is using the same DB and the DB has not been moved or renamed. QUESTION: Have I created any problems ahead of me by doing this? If there's any doubt to the stability of the install now then I'd rather start again and install / setup the prog in the client's folder from scratch. But if it's not necessary I can save myself some work! Thank you. Bryan.

In the .htaccess file (a collection of directives for the web server):

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /subfolder

The first directive starts processing the following group of directives if the web server (Apache?) has loaded the URL Rewrite functions.

If so, the second directive tells the web server to activate those URL Rewrite capabilities.

The third directive tells the web server that URLs of the form:
www.website.com/subfolder/friendly-cat-name/friendly-subcat-name/friendly-product-name.html
that /subfolder is not part of the overall SEO-friendly name of the page.

Thus, when rewriting the URL - the final directive of the group - the /subfolder part stays as part of the legitimate URL, and the web server starts looking for /subfolder/index.php. Without the RewriteBase directive, or an incorrect value, the rewriting will include /subfolder as part of the SEO-friendly name, or will be looking for index.php in the wrong folder..