Skinny Skin?

hairydog

I'm making a second attempt at getting the page weight down. I appreciate that the developers of CC don't think this matters as much as I do.

What I want to do is use a lightweight version of a CC5 skin with an up-to-date CC6 setup.

Mostly, this seems to work, but far from completely. Product options are the current stumbling block.

I found a reference to updating script.js at about line 430, but the script.js I found has only 40 lines of code. 

Is there anywhere that I can find a list of what is needed in a CC5 skin running on CC6? If so, where is it?

Is there a conversation on the forums that discuss what you mean by a 'skinny skin'?

If not, perhaps we should start discussing what diet a CC5 skin would need.

For example, please summarize your intentions about the Product Options. It is true that as compared to CC5 skins, the latest version of CC6's Foundation skin has a few distinct features (aside from being 'responsive') -- dynamically updated prices based on which options are selected being such a feature.

We look forward to learning more about your goals.

For a start,

I want to avoid "responsive" code. It is easy to achieve a design that is good on desktop, tablet and mobile just with a few lines of CSS. 

I don't want to have to call javascript libraries to render a page. I want as few queries as possible. I want the code to be clean, small and elegant. 

To give an idea of the difference I'm looking at, with my current test site, the Test Product page with the untouched Foundation skin, is 814.05kB and takes 4.645 seconds to load in Firefox with caches disabled.

The same page, using my version of a v5 skin (which is not finished yet), is 32.05kB and loads in 753 miliseconds.

Edited by hairydog
mistyped the Foundation file size first time round!

Let us know how it goes!

You said, "a list of what is needed in a CC5 skin running on CC6".

I would say that nothing is really needed other than the Smarty variables. A skin stands alone. It can show as much as what is available, or as little as you want.

To see what is available, at the end of the template 'main.php', add {debug}. Allow your browser to show popups. The popup lists all the variables and their current contents.

To satisfy my curiosity, and to clarify something, of the 4.645 seconds, how much of that time is the "time to first byte"? You may need a program like "Wireshark" to determine when that first byte arrives at your computer after the last byte of the page request gets sent out.

When comparing the page sizes, I've noticeded that the Options don't work on the Foundation skin either - so maybe the skin isn't to blame after all.

I'll try the {debug] idea and see what is happening.

I can't see that the time to first byte can be very high if my template on the same page on the same server has finished rendering in 0.7 seconds. The page is 800KB. That's why it takes 4.6 seconds to render: something I want to fix.

Last time I tried this, a year or two back, I gave up. But I thought I'd try again. If I ever get a skinny skin working, I could make a generic version to share.

That is the specif question!

There are options, option values, option groups, option grids. These are associated with products in various ways, none of which are obvious or clear.

What is needed is an overview that explains how the hierarchy works. I would try to work this out fo myself, but I can't make them work.

Yes, I meant matrix, not grid. 

Messing with it seems to show that if you add an option to a product, that gets updates if you amend the option or its values in the admin, but any new values you add don't appear. Makes sense!

Not looked at sets enough yet to work them out. It seems that radiobuttons don't work on my store at present, which may be the cause of the difficulties.

That link looks very useful, thanks very much.

Got Options sorted. The next stumbling block is reCAPTCHA "Looks like" it isn't suitable. What are the criteria and required resources to enable it? Huh! suddenly it is working. All I needed to do was have a coffee break!

Edited by hairydog