Sub-optimal behaviour of cart when adding a discount

ploughguy

The shopping cart has some bad customer-facing ergonomics when a promotional coupon is provided.  The ultimate functionality is correct, but the user interaction is not up to CubeCart's otherwise impeccable behaviour.

To demonstrate:

• Create a Promotional Coupon
  • Create a cart
  • Assign the Promotional Coupon to the cart
  • Customer gets a red banner further down the page, below the payment method options, that says "Please select a payment method." The discount code is not accepted.
  • Customer selects payment method.
  • Now customer can go back up the page to apply the coupon a second time.

Is there any reason why there is a dependency between the payment method and the coupon?  If so, should the layout be revised so the user is not sent down and then up the page to sort it out?  

(I think) Depending on the skin, there is a javascript powered enforcement of entering data and choosing that which is required. As you describe, this is likely the case. As such, the page was not POSTed. That brings up the question, if the page was not POSTed, how did the Coupon Code text entry box get emptied? (I will experiment.)

Many versions back, choosing the payment gateway was a separate screen. Many store owners wanted fewer checkout screens.

However, the layout can be improved so that having the payment gateway chooser be well within view -- "above the fold" as it were. (I will also play with that.)

Whaddaya mean, "Many versions back"?  That's the version I am currently using!  Cripes, it was only back in 2009 that I set it all up!

The skin I am using for testing 6.1 is Foundation - one would reasonably expect it to be aiming for functional perfection, no?  I have not started monkeying with optional skins yet.

Gotta say, I'm loving the results of 8 years additional development. CC 6.1 is beautiful.  Except for this particular problem.

I'm on the Pacific Coast too - same country?

Edited by ploughguy