Removing Required Address fields

cpierrep

Hi all

Recently some of the clients using my CC shop have experienced problems checking out. The problem in all their cases was that their profiles did not include addresses.

Address fields are not required fields during the signup (account creation) process, so for them to add those, they would need to go to "Your account", "Address book" and fill in the details. However, many do not do this, simply because a physical address is not required for the digital products I supply.

When they place an order, the process goes fine up to the view basket stage. If they do not fill in an address, they can not click on the Save button to progress to checkout.

So the question is how do I prevent the checkout process from checking for an address? Or perhaps disable the address fields completely?

I am using CC 6.0.11  (cannot use 6.1.13 on the hosted server architecture I am on)

PHP 5.3.29

skin is e-sharp

For the most part, CubeCart will assume that the payment gateway in place requires a billing address for the credit card. In some cases, this address is provided to the credit card processor through the order details in the communication, and it is assumed the processor will fill in the fields where the customer then supplies the actual credit card number.

I understand that PayPal may not actually require an address be provided by CubeCart to it, as PayPal may already have the customer's address, or will actually ask for it when the customer is making payment.

So, knowing that CubeCart requires an address for at least the purpose of supplying a billing address to the payment processor, there will be a not insignificant amount of code changes to render moot this part of the customer experience.

But it can be done.

Thank you.

yes, Paypal does not require an address to be processed, as far as I understand in any case, as it already has the client details on file. But not so sure about credit card payments and the like.

If this is would require significant coding changes, would it perhaps be an option to request address details as part of the registration process rather than as a secondary input after the account has been created? (Some clients just do not do complete that section). Or would another alternative be to fill blank address fields with ghost info - sort of "if address = blank then address = 1 - this isn't my preference

As a matter of interest: Up to now I have not used a payment gateway - I provided the clients with payment details manually, or where applicable sent PayPal money requests manually. However, this is  not only time-consuming but also not great from a customer perspective. So am in the process now of linking in  PayPal and PayFast, a South-African gateway (seeing that most of my clients reside there). But this has led to another problem which I'll list under a separate thread...

Thanks again

Either of your suggested approaches can be accomplished.

I would recommend against filling in address fields automatically with random info. This could lead to erroneous tax reporting situations (if you submit taxes collected).

The changes shouldn't be overly extensive, just not insignificant.

If you want to learn about CubeCart and what code needs to be changed, send me a PM with your email address.